KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   First sweater and probably last (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107392)

lgoddard 01-09-2012 07:44 PM

First sweater and probably last

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got up my nerve to try knitting a sweater for my granddaughter. Had no problem with the pattern, was very intimidated by the seaming only to find the sleeves are so wide she will probably never wear it! Followed the pattern perfectly for inches etc, but the width on this thing is just crazy for a baby. Found no error notes so I guess they just think it looks fine with sleeves wide enough to go on an adult. Anyway, not sure I will attempt another but glad I got over my fear of seaming and finished it.

lgoddard 01-09-2012 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgoddard (Post 1339131)
Finally got up my nerve to try knitting a sweater for my granddaughter. Had no problem with the pattern, was very intimidated by the seaming only to find the sleeves are so wide she will probably never wear it! Followed the pattern perfectly for inches etc, but the width on this thing is just crazy for a baby. Found no error notes so I guess they just think it looks fine with sleeves wide enough to go on an adult. Anyway, not sure I will attempt another but glad I got over my fear of seaming and finished it.

Sorry, forgot to add the pattern name. It was listed in an advertisement in Creative Knitting from Patternworks. Cardi and Beret. Pattern Number 801981

Antares 01-09-2012 10:19 PM

I'm sorry to hear that the sleeves didn't fit right. How very frustrating! However, it's a lovely little sweater--even with the ill-fitting sleeves.

Olha 01-09-2012 10:45 PM

Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed. I noticed though that little children sweaters tend to be really, really spacious. One of the reasons is obvious -- anyone who tried to put a sweater on a 3 month old would know that long and narrow sleeves are impossible. But the width of some sweaters? Puzzles me.

However, the colour is lovely and the sweater looks nice. And you learned a lot!

GrumpyGramma 01-09-2012 11:55 PM

How frustrating! :gah: Still, I agree that you did a beautiful job on it. :thumbsup: Makes it that much worse, I guess. Please don't give up on sweaters. Next time you'll know to pay attention to the sleeve width.

justplaincharlotte 01-10-2012 01:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're not quite pleased with the results, but the sweater is just precious, and the color is beautiful! Your granddaughter may well surprise you and never take it off!

Jan in CA 01-10-2012 01:56 AM

Like Olha I've found that baby sweaters tend to be very spacious or wide with large sleeves. Not all patterns are that way though. One thing I find is that since it is wide if you knit it longer it'll fit a little bit bigger child instead.

I wonder if maybe making a smaller size a little longer would work better. I'll have to try that next time.

lgoddard 01-10-2012 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olha (Post 1339165)
Sorry to hear that you are dissapointed. I noticed though that little children sweaters tend to be really, really spacious. One of the reasons is obvious -- anyone who tried to put a sweater on a 3 month old would know that long and narrow sleeves are impossible. But the width of some sweaters? Puzzles me.

However, the colour is lovely and the sweater looks nice. And you learned a lot!

Thanks for the compliments. I did learn a lot doing it and maybe if I had more experience with sweaters I would have known to try to narrow it with a better seam? I do agree it is hard to put a sweater on a baby that is narrow but believe me, this sleeve is way off:roflhard: .

lgoddard 01-10-2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olha (Post 1339165)

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1339191)
I'm sorry to hear that you're not quite pleased with the results, but the sweater is just precious, and the color is beautiful! Your granddaughter may well surprise you and never take it off!

By the time it might fit her she will be in school! The pattern was for a 1-2 year old and she is 15 months. Oh well, I did learn some things while doing it. Thanks for looking

lgoddard 01-10-2012 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1339195)
Like Olha I've found that baby sweaters tend to be very spacious or wide with large sleeves. Not all patterns are that way though. One thing I find is that since it is wide if you knit it longer it'll fit a little bit bigger child instead.

I wonder if maybe making a smaller size a little longer would work better. I'll have to try that next time.

That might work, making a smaller size but making it longer! Hmmm now you have me thinking about that. I have a picture of her from the back with it on but was way too enbarressed to post it once I saw how huge it was on her. First garment I have made, I usually do afghans, scarves and hats so this was definitely an accomplishment for me.