KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Martha Stewart and Vanna White (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107499)

PinkRoses 01-16-2012 02:08 PM

Martha Stewart and Vanna White

suzeeq 01-16-2012 02:12 PM

Vanna crochets and has for years. Yarn isn't just for knitting.... Deborah Norville knits too and has her own line if you'd prefer that.

Jan in CA 01-16-2012 02:23 PM

I believe Martha Stewart knits.

suzeeq 01-16-2012 02:25 PM

Crocheting is getting to be a big thing too, it's not just old grannies making baby blankets, there's a lot of creativity in the crochet world today. And both yarn sites provide lots of knitting patterns.

suzeeq 01-16-2012 02:53 PM

She is a big promoter of crafts and most of her new yarn line is really oriented toward using them in craft pieces rather than actually knitting a project. As long as these celebrities can help promote knitting and crochet though, that's great, brings awareness to more people.

RochesterKnitter 01-16-2012 03:29 PM

"I have been knitting all my life and am very happy to be introducing a line of beautiful, high-quality yarns to create the most fabulous projects," says Stewart.

This quote came from this website.
http://www.yarnsupply.com/martha-ste...FUOo4Aodvh-pmA

Who knows if it is the truth, or just marketing.

DogCatMom 01-16-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PinkRoses (Post 1339864)
Oh, I know Vanna crochets. I hope I don't sound bitchy, I would just think that since knitting is such a big thing these days, why not learn? It's not that difficult. If I had a yarn production in my name, I would make it a point to try all the crafts. I'm surprised that Martha Stewart doesn't know how to do knitting or crochet. ???

First, as a long-time crocheter, long-time wanted-to-be-knitter, and short-time knitter, I'd like to ask that you read this thread. My posts, particularly, discuss some reasons WHY people cannot/do not learn to knit.

Second, crochet received a LOT of publicity from Martha Stewart when she emerged from prison wearing a poncho she had crocheted herself while serving her sentence. I think that shows that she DOES crochet.

Whether or not everyone values crochet is up to them, but it's a valid method of self-expression. Crocheters are *fed up to here* with disrespect from some knitters, and it never seems to stop.

No bashing, please.

DCM

cheley 01-16-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCatMom (Post 1339891)
First, as a long-time crocheter, long-time wanted-to-be-knitter, and short-time knitter, I'd like to ask that you read this thread. My posts, particularly, discuss some reasons WHY people cannot/do not learn to knit.

Second, crochet received a LOT of publicity from Martha Stewart when she emerged from prison wearing a poncho she had crocheted herself while serving her sentence. I think that shows that she DOES crochet.

Whether or not everyone values crochet is up to them, but it's a valid method of self-expression. Crocheters are *fed up to here* with disrespect from some knitters, and it never seems to stop.

I started needlework as a "crocheter"..then ventured onto knitting...I enjoy the "finished" look of knit.but I also know(and appreciate) the time spent crocheting and I still do some pcs in crochet...I think it's just a matter of how much time,patience, and preferrence, and it's a "good thing" to know both crafts! I am not feeling the "bashing" thing here, I wasn't aware the there is such a thing between crafters:aww: BTW..Lily Chin, Vicki Howell and Debbie Stoller all have there own lines of Yarn:woohoo:

Antares 01-16-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DogCatMom (Post 1339891)
Second, crochet received a LOT of publicity from Martha Stewart when she emerged from prison wearing a poncho she had crocheted herself while serving her sentence. I think that shows that she DOES crochet.DCM

Actually, another inmate crocheted the poncho for Stewart, so she didn't actually crochet it herself: http://www.wptz.com/money/4286397/detail.html

At any rate, what difference does it make whether these people learn to knit or crochet? They use the yarn in different arts and crafts, which by the way, does not have to be either knit or crochet!!

And, yes, Vanna has been crocheting for years and years!!!

Guess I don't understand the complaint here. It's their business and their yarn, so let them do as they please with it and learn what they want to learn!!!

Remember about there not being any knitting police? Well, there's not any yarn police or crochet police either. So how about we live and let live, eh?

suzeeq 01-16-2012 06:15 PM

Actually, Martha didn't make that poncho herself; a former inmate who'd served time with her and had been released did it and gave it to her as a 'going home' present.