KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Broken cord...guess I'm frogging. AARRGGHHH!!!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107711)

GrumpyGramma 01-31-2012 03:52 PM

Broken cord...guess I'm frogging. AARRGGHHH!!!!

BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP

So I'm knitting along on a top down sweater, 350 stitches on the needles, and the blue cord on my interchangeable needles snaps. They might send me a new one, I've let the company know that it happened. I think changing to different needles at this point wouldn't work out very well. I have another sweater, waiting for a fitting, started with needles from the same set. I'm not a happy camper. :wall: :mad: :grrr: :evil:

On the bright side, Crossed Fingers I ordered the comby set from Webs. When they arrive I'll find out if I like any of them. I'm sure they'll be better than what I've been using. After giving them all a test drive I can decide what I want to order so I have decent needles to work with.

What would you do, just go ahead and frog it all?
I'm going to let it all sit a while before I make up my mind and start ripping.

BLEEP BLEEP BLEEP

Antares 01-31-2012 04:10 PM

Wait! I'm confused. The cord on your needles broke, right? But there's nothing wrong with the sweater itself, correct? Well, okay, except maybe for some dropped stitches?

So why not grab a darning needle and a long piece of yarn and string all your stitches on that? Then when you get the new needles (and if they pass muster), you can slip the stitches onto your new needles and take off again.

I most definitely wouldn't frog it, though, just because of a problem with the needles (which can be replaced). Now if you'd screwed up the pattern or had lots of incorrect stitches, then, yes, frogging it might be in order.

At any rate, I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience!!

GrumpyGramma 01-31-2012 04:24 PM

Glad I let it all sit awhile. My gauge will be different with different needles. If I get the new cable, I can just pick up where I left off, you're right, Antares. There weren't that many stitches that were loose and I was able to pick them up and actually finished the current row. Right now they're all on the broken cord awaiting a solution to my problem.

I knew another knitter would understand the frustration, thank you.

Jan in CA 01-31-2012 06:19 PM

What kind of needles? If you get the same ones it shouldn't be a problem.

GrumpyGramma 01-31-2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1341068)
What kind of needles? If you get the same ones it shouldn't be a problem.

They're sending me another cord. I'll be able to finish ... I hope ... with the same needles. It's Denise needles. (I hesitated to use the brand name, don't want to bash them, they at least are sending a replacement of the free part they sent me to take care of a previous problem.) I look forward to trying the Knitter's Pride needles in their comby kit. I even ordered a Cubics circular to try it out.

suzeeq 01-31-2012 09:22 PM

No, don't rip it all out. Just put the sts on a smaller needle or yarn to hold what you've got. You may find you have another needle the same size to keep going with, or you may want to wait until you have the replacement.

GrumpyGramma 01-31-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1341110)
No, don't rip it all out. Just put the sts on a smaller needle or yarn to hold what you've got. You may find you have another needle the same size to keep going with, or you may want to wait until you have the replacement.

Thanks. Yeah, it's waiting for the replacement piece. I think I needed to take a deep breath. :aww:

ChatyKathy 02-01-2012 10:31 AM

AFter reading all the post I agree with Atares and Suzeeq and would do what they said...Glad you took a deep breath and decided not to frogg it...that would be such a waste of time...hang in there the cord will be there soon...

Jan in CA 02-01-2012 01:47 PM

All needles have occasional problems. I have a few friends with the high end expensive Signature needles and those needles aren't perfect either. I think knitting is kind of hard on them..we jerk them through the knitting, bend them around tight curves, twist them constantly... it's no wonder things happen occasionally. ;) Glad they are sending you a replacement. KP is good about that, too.

GrumpyGramma 02-01-2012 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1341186)
All needles have occasional problems. I have a few friends with the high end expensive Signature needles and those needles aren't perfect either. I think knitting is kind of hard on them..we jerk them through the knitting, bend them around tight curves, twist them constantly... it's no wonder things happen occasionally. ;) Glad they are sending you a replacement. KP is good about that, too.

:teehee: Are you implying that we abuse our toys...I mean tools? :thumbsup: Yeah, I've been thinking that a thinner cord will be less likely to stress the connection. I'll see when I have the other needles to try out. I intend to put them to a strenuous test before buying a complete set. I considered various ways of lessening the stress at the connection to the tip in my right hand but haven't come up with anything that works well. With a thinner cord, I think that a loop method will work.

Every cloud has a silver lining? cloud9 I decided to try some different stitch patterns making wash cloths or coasters. By the time I get back to the sweater I should be in a much better frame of mind. :-P