KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knitting for a knitter: Good idea or bad? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107943)

Antares 02-15-2012 11:13 PM

Knitting for a knitter: Good idea or bad?

Would you knit a gift for a knitter who doesn't have time to even think about picking up a knitting needle (but would really love to)?

And also, as a knitter, do you (or would you) like to get a knitted item from another knitter--again, particularly if you didn't have time to knit yourself?

Ingrid 02-16-2012 12:04 AM

Only a knitter can really appreciate what goes into a hand-made item. I say go for it.

GrumpyGramma 02-16-2012 12:54 AM

I knit, crochet, and sew. I'd love to have any one of these things that someone else did for me.

Jan in CA 02-16-2012 01:16 AM

I think that's a nice thing to do and a knitter would appreciate it. :thumbsup:

salmonmac 02-16-2012 07:55 AM

I would love to receive a knitted gift! (especially something I don't make for myself, like a scarf)

ChatyKathy 02-16-2012 10:12 AM

I agree with all of the above as something made to me is so much better than bought...It was made from the HEART!

Antares 02-16-2012 11:11 AM

Well, you guys are all normal! My friend, on the other hand, gives herself guilt trips for not having conquered the world and cleaned it all up yet (in addition to everything else she's doing)--which is why I asked.

Thanks for the feedback.

GrumpyGramma 02-16-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Well, you guys are all normal!
Now I feel insulted.:roflhard:

How does your friend respond to other gifts? Maybe that would help you decide. Some people appreciate handmade, unique items more than others. In my little corner of the world, the people I knit for seem to think that anything made just for them is very special. I think I see now why you're not sure about this. Whether you decide to go ahead and knit something or not, I am confident it will be right.

justplaincharlotte 02-16-2012 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1342563)
Well, you guys are all normal! My friend, on the other hand, gives herself guilt trips for not having conquered the world and cleaned it all up yet (in addition to everything else she's doing)--which is why I asked.

Thanks for the feedback.

Is there a knitting technique you like to knit that she doesn't care to work herself but loves? Fair-Isle, lace, something like that? If you'd like to make her a little something maybe that could diffuse any potential guilt trip??? Just thinking out loud...

Regardless, I know you'll come up with something appropriate. :hug:

Antares 02-17-2012 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1342591)
How does your friend respond to other gifts?

I've given her crocheted things before and she seems to really like them, but that was before she got so darn busy!

It's something to consider, though, and something I hadn't thought about!

Thanks!