KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Blankets, Anyone? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108190)

auburnchick 03-06-2012 11:38 PM

Blankets, Anyone?

Hi all!

Some of you may remember that I used to head up the West Coast Oddball Blanket group. I gave that up when I went back to school to finish my degree.

Well, I haven't been around much in the last year or so...been busy learning how to teach...into my second year teaching high school...intensive reading to be exact.

Here's why I'm posting.

In the last week, I've learned that two of my students are pregnant.

It breaks my heart. These girls are precious to me but come from home situations that are difficult, to say the least.

I'd love, love, love it if anyone could spare two blankets to show my girls that the world cares about them.

Y'all have donated blankets to my students in the past, and they've been much appreciated. In fact, last year, I was at my son's high school's football game when a gal came down to me and showed me her young toddler, wrapped in a blanket that had been given to her by y'all. She never forgot the kindness.

I'd make the blankets myself, but as a new teacher, I am SWAMPED with paperwork, lesson plans, and online classes to get fully reading endorsed. I hardly have time to knit. :(

Would anyone be able/willing to donate a blanket?

Shandeh can vouch for me, as can some of the other knitters on the board.

If interested, please let me know!!

Thanks so much!!!

:muah:

I was wondering

GrumpyGramma 03-07-2012 01:25 AM

Am I correct in assuming the blankets should be acrylic, easily washed and dried? Are we talking baby blankets here, if so what size?

I'm so glad these girls have someone who cares about them. It's such a sad situation.

auburnchick 03-07-2012 11:00 PM

I think that acrylic would be best. That's typically what we've used in the past. These girls are going to need easy-care stuff.

And yes, baby blankets is what I'm talking about. They don't have to be extra large. I would just like the girls to have a little something to wrap their little ones in. They're starting from scratch with little to no money to buy essentials.

Thank you!!!!

Antares 03-08-2012 09:39 AM

Are crocheted blankets okay (I'm thinking yes, but I wanted to make sure). And also, how soon do you need them?

Thanks!

auburnchick 03-09-2012 11:12 PM

Hi, Antares! Thanks for asking! Crochet will be find, although I did get a response from one gal, and HollyP is going to send me blankets as well.

My school has SEVERAL students who are pregnant, so if anyone wants to send additional blankets, I will give them to the other students.

Your generosity is so APPRECIATED!! These girls have absolutely NOTHING and no money to buy anything with. I know it's going to mean a lot for them to know that people who they don't even know care about them and their little ones.

Hugs to all of you!!

DogCatMom 03-10-2012 11:13 PM

"West Coast." Are you by chance in northern California?

DCM

auburnchick 03-11-2012 12:01 AM

Nope. I actually live in Florida. I volunteered to head up the West Coast group when they needed someone to coordinate the blankets for that section of the U.S. :)

DogCatMom 03-11-2012 12:56 AM

Ah. Thank you.

DCM

auburnchick 04-01-2012 07:02 PM

I wanted to give a shout-out to GrumpyGramma. I received this beautiful blanket in the mail on Friday!! I'm so thrilled that I can give this to one of my students!!

Thank you so much!!!

:muah::hug::muah::hug:

Jan in CA 04-01-2012 11:46 PM

Beautiful!