KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Crochet! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Caron Simply Soft (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108347)

Crycket 03-19-2012 12:18 AM

Caron Simply Soft

Hey there....

I am trying to do an amigurmi type pattern in Caron Simply Soft....is it just me, or is this stuff really sucky to work with?

Every time I try to get a hook through, it hooks on the plys of the other strands....:wall:

suzeeq 03-19-2012 12:47 AM

Because it's loosely twisted (which is what makes it nice and soft) it may split when worked at a tighter gauge, which I suppose you need for the amigurumis. It's nice at a looser gauge.

GrumpyGramma 03-19-2012 12:48 AM

It's not just you. I avoid crocheting with Simply Soft (simply sucky?) yarn, it needs a larger than usual hook IME. I find it knits better than it crochets.

I'd switch yarn if that's an option. I'd rather RHSS for this type of crocheting.

Good luck!

Crycket 03-19-2012 07:51 AM

Yeah...it is my choice if I am going acrylic...but wow...crocheting it sucks...

I may just have to move on to something else....*sigh*...I am making something for school..and don't like to use any cheaper yarns when possible...but when charity knitting...I will go cheap!

Antares 03-19-2012 01:02 PM

I love Caron Simply Soft and have used it for all kinds of things (both knit and crocheted)--mainly because it's soft and machine washable, which makes it great for baby things.

I've never a problem with the yarn splitting or with picking up parts of other stitches. Are you using the correct size hook? You could try going up a hook size or two to see if that helps (it often does).

Sorry you're having such a difficult time!

suzeeq 03-19-2012 01:07 PM

Since she's working on something that will be stuffed, she needs the smaller hook size. So using a larger one might not make it as tight as needed. Though if she's using a pattern for a thinner yarn, that hook may well be too small.

Antares 03-19-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1345099)
Since she's working on something that will be stuffed, she needs the smaller hook size. So using a larger one might not make it as tight as needed. Though if she's using a pattern for a thinner yarn, that hook may well be too small.

Yes, but sometimes even for stuffed things, you can go up a hook size without any problems. And if someone's not using the right hook size to begin with, then it's not the yarn's fault for splitting.

Crycket 03-19-2012 11:44 PM

I am stuffing this yes...but I am also stuffing it with beans. Not stuffing (think hacky sack...but not) I mean...the other option would be to encase the beads in a little pouch and go larger....but that creates more work in a project meant to be quick and easy....and cheap.....

I got going on a smaller hook....it isn't easy going, but I do like the results...I guess it will just be balencing out whether it is worth it or not....

kitty55 05-01-2012 04:54 PM

simply soft yarn

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1345048)
It's not just you. I avoid crocheting with Simply Soft (simply sucky?) yarn, it needs a larger than usual hook IME. I find it knits better than it crochets.

I'd switch yarn if that's an option. I'd rather RHSS for this type of crocheting.

Good luck!

i don't crochet with simply soft yarn it splits out to much.

mathwizard 05-06-2012 06:10 PM

Horrible

It is really soft yarn but my horror story concerns growth. I knit a spiral hat for my son and it fit him beautifully until he washed it. It grew!! Now it is toooooo big and the dryer didn't bring it back to the original shape. I find it also splits and get caught like others have said.