KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Age old knitting myth (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108396)

KnittingElf 03-21-2012 05:20 AM

Age old knitting myth

I fell in love with knitting late last year, but due to school I haven't really been able to knit much. I have some time now, though, and just started my first afghan :) I was at lunch with my family the other day, and I was trying to hurry my family along because the knitting store closed at four. My brother looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Knitting is for OLD people!" :tap:

I actually have met many younger knitters since starting. Besides him acting like being older was a "bad" thing, he acted like I was some weird cat lady for wanting to knit. Well ha! I'm actually a dog lady so there ;)

Honestly, though. Does this myth still exist widely? Ever have someone act like you're weird for knitting? He's lucky I didn't have my knitting needles with me is all I'm saying...

suzeeq 03-21-2012 08:41 AM

I think it's more that some people believe it, but isn't that universal any more. Your brother's probably just young and hasn't had a lot of experience out in the world yet. Next time he makes a comment, come back with "I have pointy sticks and know how to use them."

fatoldladyinpjs 03-21-2012 09:38 AM

My son's girlfriend is around 20. I was thrilled to see her happily knitting away on a scarf. My son said he felt like he was sitting with old ladies, the two of us talking about knitting. I was delighted. I had a bunch of old knitting needles I had meant to give away to a thrift store. She got a big score. If my son doesn't like it, tough. Deal with it. He was happy to get the convertible mittens I made for him last winter. Yah, see. How do you think you got those mittens you love?

Antares 03-21-2012 10:00 AM

If you really want to surprise your brother, tell him that knitting was an all male activity once upon a time.

Then, yeah, remind him that you have two weapons always at hand, so perhaps he should be nicer to you!

Oh, and you could show him the Super Mario Bros blanket created by Lawlren: http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=108155, who is a young knitter as well!

Jan in CA 03-21-2012 11:40 AM

There will always be some people who think that. I'm 59 and my brother that I hadn't seen for awhile laughed when I told him I knit. :lol:

ZoseyPosey 03-21-2012 02:05 PM

I've gotten a divided reaction about knitting. My close friends have the "Oh, that's awesome! Can you knit me a [insert pattern here]?" reaction and then there is still the people that equate it with an "old person" activity. One friend actually felt a little sad for me and vowed to get me out of the house more to "rescue" me.

I don't talk to that person much anymore. :roflhard:

KnittingElf 03-21-2012 05:57 PM

Antares, I remember reading that in a knitting book my mom got me! I'll have to mention that to him next time I see him.

What gets me about the assumption is that it doesn't even make sense. You don't get to a certain age and automatically become a great knitter, lol. Obviously older people who are fabulous knitters most likely didn't just "start" knitting.

I have two friends who crochet quite a bit. They even crocheted their prom dresses, which is the most awesome thing I've ever seen. I'll have to show him my knitting needles and maybe he'll show more respect :teehee:

GrumpyGramma 03-21-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

I'll have to show him my knitting needles and maybe he'll show more respect
You could tell him when he grows up you'll teach him to knit? :rofl:
Crocheted prom dresses? Wow! sure beats duck tape.

Ageist/sexist/whatever assumptions really really really bug me.

fatoldladyinpjs 03-21-2012 11:28 PM

The last time my son pulled the Knitting is for old people routine, I had some knitting needles in my hand. I jokingly held the tips up in the air menacingly and said, Come here, honey. I've got something for you. Sit on it. He shut up.

HandyFamily 03-22-2012 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnittingElf (Post 1345222)
I fell in love with knitting late last year, but due to school I haven't really been able to knit much. I have some time now, though, and just started my first afghan :) I was at lunch with my family the other day, and I was trying to hurry my family along because the knitting store closed at four. My brother looked at me like I was crazy and said, "Knitting is for OLD people!" :tap:

I actually have met many younger knitters since starting. Besides him acting like being older was a "bad" thing, he acted like I was some weird cat lady for wanting to knit. Well ha! I'm actually a dog lady so there ;)

Honestly, though. Does this myth still exist widely? Ever have someone act like you're weird for knitting? He's lucky I didn't have my knitting needles with me is all I'm saying...

Come now. You won't let a brother tease you, will you? Brothers are supposed to try that - for any pretext they could find, that is what they are for (in childhood, at least). But you are supposed to smile at it, not let it get through you...