KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Problems with Bergere de France Puncho pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109145)

Kazaps 06-03-2012 09:25 AM

Problems with Bergere de France Puncho pattern

1 Attachment(s)
Hi
Can anyone help? I bought Bergere de France's 'Creations 11/12' so as I could knit the roll neck puncho - only I simply can't work out the pattern. Three experienced knitters have also tried to figure it out for me, but without success. I'm in the UK and was expecting to receive a pattern giving instructions row by row. Instead, there's a brief run down of what stitches are used along with a small section on the pattern. It's got me beat. Has anyone ever knitted this before? And can anyone help? I can send a photo shot of the pattern if that helps?
Thanks
Karen :aww:

suzeeq 06-03-2012 09:36 AM

Posting a shot of the actual pattern isn't allowed, unless it's just a portion. You can also type out a few lines of the instructions and we can help you out that way. Many european patterns aren't row by row, they just say cast on, work this pattern, inc, and so on, they're very brief. But they should refer to the stitch patterns used and have a chart for them.

Kazaps 06-03-2012 10:08 AM

Hi Sue
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.
There is a very small chart just for the cable. The cable stitch is worked over 25 stitches and is seperated by st st. In total there are only 4 rows to the pattern, which is a bit confusing as we generally work every row individually.
You work a bit of the pattern before your 1st row begins. After your 1st row is completed it says:
When work measures 14 rows....
Does this mean I rework row 1 until I have 14 rows? And is it 14 rows in total, or 28 rows (including st st on reverse).
....total work k1, *k2tog, k21, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* rep from * to end with k1. Work 7 rows on the rem sts.
Does this mean I work the above row 7 more times before moving on to row 2? Or 14 including st st?
Any ideas would be gratefully accepted.
Thanks again
Karen

suzeeq 06-03-2012 10:56 AM

If you have 4 rows in the pattern, you would repeat them for 14 rows, so that's 3 times through, then 2 more rows. A row is a row, one trip across the needle, so 5 rows in stockinette for example, starting with a knit row would be knit, purl, knit, purl, knit. So after 14 rows (which should leave you at the end of row 2 of the pattern) the next row will have the decs, then row 3 of the cable pattern. Then go to row 4 of the pattern for the first of the 7 rows and do 6 more rows.

Kazaps 06-03-2012 11:50 AM

Hi Sue
Sorry. I'm completely confused. Our patterns are so easy, anything remotely different phases us.
For example, say I've knit row one 14 times, it then tells me to introduce cable and dec for one row, and states I'll have 210 sts remaining. It then says 'work 7 rows on the remaining 210 sts'. Does that mean I rework row 1 seven times? Or the cable row?
I think I'm going to have to rewrite the pattern in English.
Thanks

suzeeq 06-03-2012 12:25 PM

You don't knit just the one row 14 times, you knit the 4 row pattern repeat for 14 rows. So you work row 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2,3, 4 and so on until you've done 14 rows. That should include the cable pattern in there, with plain knit or purl sts between the cables. Then the next row, the 15th, you work decs then the 3rd row of the cable pattern over the next sts, dec, repeat the cable pattern again etc. After that you knit another 7 rows, still doing the cable pattern (rows 4, 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2) and probably after that you do row 3 again with more decs.

Kazaps 06-04-2012 03:08 AM

Morning Sue
Thanks for your patients. I understand what you're saying. What's confusing me is the patterns instructions to knit varying rows appears to differ to what you might be saying. Row 1 to 4 states:

Row 1: k30, *p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k29* rep *to* ending with p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k1. When work measures 14 rows total work k1, *k2tog, k25, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* re from *to* end with 1.
Work 7 rows on the rem 210 sts.

Row 2:(rs) k1, *k2tog, k23, slip 1, k1, psso, 25cp,* rep from *to* ending with k1 (202 sts).
Work 7 rows on the rem 202 sts.

Row 3: (rs) k1, *k2tog, k21, slip1, k1, psso, 25 sts Cable patt* rep from *to* ending with k1.
Rep this dec row on every foll 8th row 10 times.
Work 4 rows on them rem 114 sts.

Next row:(rs) k2tog at beg of row, cont on rem sts. Leave the rem 113 ss on a st holder.

I'm confident it's perfectly easy if only I could figure the pattern out.

Thanks

salmonmac 06-04-2012 05:30 AM

The confusing part may be the use of "Row 1-4" in the instructions. It makes them seem like consecutive rows which they are not. Follow the instructions and keep track of what row you're on. At the same time keep the cable pattern repeating . Use 2 row counters or paper and pencil to make sure you don't skip a row, especially on the cable pattern.

Row 1: k30, *p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k29* rep *to* ending with p2, k9, p3, k9, p2, k1. When work measures 14 rows total work
Row 15: k1, *k2tog, k25, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* re from *to* end with 1.
Work 7 rows on the rem 210 sts.

Row 23:(rs) k1, *k2tog, k23, slip 1, k1, psso, 25cp,* rep from *to* ending with k1 (202 sts).
Work 7 rows on the rem 202 sts.

Row 31: (rs) k1, *k2tog, k21, slip1, k1, psso, 25 sts Cable patt* rep from *to* ending with k1.
Rep this dec row on every foll 8th row 10 times.
So repeat this dec row on rows 39,47,55,63,71,79,87,95,103,111
Work 4 rows on the rem 114 sts.

Next row I'd do this on row 115:(rs) k2tog at beg of row, cont on rem sts. Leave the rem 113 ss on a st holder.
All of the decrease rows happen on right side rows.

Kazaps 06-04-2012 06:50 AM

Dear Salmonmac

Wow - how did you work that out? I'd never have gotten it. Even now as I look at the original pattern I can't see how you figured it out, but I'm really pleased you did. Thanks so much.

Just got one more question (don't hate me!).... When it say's 'work 7 rows of the rem 210 sts' can I just confirm that means to work 7 rows of what is technically row 15 (k1, *k2tog, k25, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* re from *to* end with 1.) And, does this follow suit for the other rows where it tells you to work 7 or 4 rows on the rem st?

Thanks for your patience. I've never knitted a pattern like this before.
Thanks again,
Karen

suzeeq 06-04-2012 08:47 AM

Quote:

When it say's 'work 7 rows of the rem 210 sts' can I just confirm that means to work 7 rows of what is technically row 15 (k1, *k2tog, k25, slip 1, k1, psso, 25 sts cable patt* re from *to* end with 1.) And, does this follow suit for the other rows where it tells you to work 7 or 4 rows on the rem st?
No you don't do it on every row; the 4 rows given are for the dec rows only. It looks like it's stockinette stitch with the cable stitch pattern, that's what you work between the dec rows. Here'a another way of looking at it -

Row1 - dec row
rows 2-14, pattern rows (stockinette and cable stitch)
Row 15, dec row
rows 16-22, pattern rows
row 23, dec row
rows 24 - 30 pattern rows
and so on...