KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   stockinette not working (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109192)

sissyv 06-08-2012 02:20 AM

stockinette not working

I am making a beret type hat. The pattern says to continue in stockinette- I have been doing that but somehow, I am ending up with ridges everytime I do a purl row ( Knitting in round) I'm confused as to why this is happening. Even though I find it perplexing- I think I'll continue it-I've already come to far to rip it out!:knitting:

Jan in CA 06-08-2012 03:47 AM

If you're knitting in the round you don't need to purl because your not knittting on the back side. To create stockinette you just knit all stitches from the front. Does that help?

ChatyKathy 06-08-2012 09:31 AM

I agree you just keep doing the knit stitch over and over you shouldnt have to do the purl stitch at all. Just go in 1 direction with circular needles...till its time to decrease.

PrincessMRC 06-08-2012 09:33 AM

yep..that's the cool thing about working in the round, you don't have to do a purl row :D

cindylou 06-08-2012 05:04 PM

Looking forward to knitting in the round as I've never done it before...

suzeeq 06-08-2012 05:55 PM

Well, you don't have to purl to get stockinette. If you want garter stitch you'll have to alternate purl round with a knit round. And if you do ribbing, you still do knit and purl stitches.

sissyv 06-08-2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessMRC (Post 1349945)
yep..that's the cool thing about working in the round, you don't have to do a purl row :D

Hey Melanie- I'm a Melanie too- with all those kids- how do you have time to knit?
Bless you and your family!

deann 06-09-2012 01:32 AM

Looking forward to circular needles

I just ordered a set of circular needles. I am so excited about knitting in the round.

I do have a question however, if a pattern does not call for rounding, can you knit in the round anyway? to avoid purling? LOL

salmonmac 06-09-2012 05:23 AM

Sure, in most cases you can do that. You may want to decrease a stitch or two because you won't have to seam the item and you have to remember to change the stitch pattern since you'l always be knitting on the front and won't be kntting on the back of the piece.

PrincessMRC 06-09-2012 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sissyv (Post 1349961)
Hey Melanie- I'm a Melanie too- with all those kids- how do you have time to knit?
Bless you and your family!

If I didn't knit I would go INSANE. lol My projects take a longer time than most people but I find time to do it here and there...that's what I love about knitting -- you can pick it up and put it down easily. I used to sew clothes as well and that was such a hassle to drag out my machine and supplies, sew a few stitches before someone needed me and then have to put it all back again. Plus, I have a FABULOUS husband who helps with them.

What really takes up my time is my job.... :teehee: