KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FOs: Baby hats (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109614)

Tntgin4118 07-14-2012 01:51 PM

FOs: Baby hats
 
3 Attachment(s)
Tis the season for baby girls in my family. We have 4 little ones who will debut in the fall. We have a new granddaughter and 3 great-nieces, including a set of twins. I'll be knitting baby this and that for awhile :knitting:

Here are the latest additions to the baby knitting parade. I've got a pretty blanket on the needles as well. When I needed a break from the blanket project, I saw these little hats and decided to do a few of them just for fun. These are my first 'in-the-round' attempts, completed with my first wrestling match with DPNs and the discovery that my sofa has an insatiable appetite :mmm: for knitting needles.



-Ginger

Jan in CA 07-14-2012 02:30 PM

Congratulations!

Those are beautiful, Ginger! Nothing is more fun than knitting for babies!

If you get tired of searching for a lost needle you might want to learn Magic Loop. It's all I use now.

salmonmac 07-14-2012 03:11 PM

Those are adorable, every one. You've certainly succeeded with dpns and knitting in the round. It's good to have a some sort of break from an afghan, even a baby sized one.
Congrats on all the new babies. What fun the fall will be!

Antares 07-14-2012 06:32 PM

Oh my! Those are too too cute! You certainly don't look like a newbie to the DPN front, that's for sure.

Well done. And have fun this fall loving on all those little ones. ("Baby this and that" indeed!!)

MerigoldinWA 07-15-2012 12:14 AM

Good job! Those will keep the new little heads warm.

Christinechrstms1 07-15-2012 03:59 AM

sweet!

Tntgin4118 07-15-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1352189)
Congratulations!

Those are beautiful, Ginger! Nothing is more fun than knitting for babies!

If you get tired of searching for a lost needle you might want to learn Magic Loop. It's all I use now.

Thanks Jan! I just started knitting back in November and really haven't finished many things yet. I've done a scarf, a sofa pillow and these hats as FOs. I usually make a start and then have to rip it apart a couple of times to get it right. I'm not fast, and I don't have a great deal of time to knit. But then, speed is not the point of my knitting at all. ;)

The baby blanket is a slow go, but hopefully it will be a treasured comfort item for my granddaughter.

I'll check out the Magic Loop and give it a try on the next hat I do. I'm learning as I go. The hats were a first with DPNs and a new (to me) cast-on method, the double cast-on. Having a choice between DPNs and another technique is cool. :thumbsup:

Tntgin4118 07-15-2012 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1352192)
Those are adorable, every one. You've certainly succeeded with dpns and knitting in the round. It's good to have a some sort of break from an afghan, even a baby sized one.
Congrats on all the new babies. What fun the fall will be!

Thanks! I do love the time I spend with my sticks and string, as DH calls it.

The new babies will all be long distance fun. Our granddaughter is in the San Diego area and all the great-neices are up near Dallas. We are down near Houston, so we won't get to cuddle and spoil them very often in person. But you can bet your bippy that the Holidays this year will be spent with babies, babies and more babies :cool:

Tntgin4118 07-15-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1352204)
Oh my! Those are too too cute! You certainly don't look like a newbie to the DPN front, that's for sure.

Well done. And have fun this fall loving on all those little ones. ("Baby this and that" indeed!!)

Thanks, Antares! The pattern is one most can do in their sleep but it challenged me in several ways because I'm not a very experienced knitter.

First lesson learned was not to be shy about ripping it out and starting again from my lifeline when I'd obviously not gotten the instructions right :aww:

Second lesson... even on something seemingly simple, the use of stitch markers and something to keep the stitches from sliding off those DPNs is a lifesaver when those inevitable interruptions happen.

Third lesson... it's not a race. Staying relaxed and taking time to pay attention to each stitch forming pays off big time.

-Ginger

Jan in CA 07-15-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tntgin4118 (Post 1352250)
I usually make a start and then have to rip it apart a couple of times to get it right. I'm not fast, and I don't have a great deal of time to knit. But then, speed is not the point of my knitting at all. ;)

Even seasoned knitters have to do that often. I don't have to frog hats often anymore, but plenty of other things. :teehee:

And no, speed is not the point. It's the journey. :thumbsup:

Btw, I am a late convert to knitting, too. I started when i was 53 i think. No grandkids yet unfortunately, but our 3 daughter's friends have given me that enjoyable baby knitting.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:46 PM.


copyright knittinghelp.com