KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Found this in the rubbish (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109957)

Tamar Dohel 08-08-2012 11:13 AM

Found this in the rubbish

1 Attachment(s)
Has this yarn and knitting business gone too far? Or does the following story prove that knitting simply and truly found its way into my blood?

One evening I was out throwing my recycles when I spotted in one of the bins what looked like a hand knitted scarf. I tried to reach out and grab it but the bin was too deep. I came back later with my daughter and showed it to her and she agreed that we must try to get it out. But how? We started looking for a long and strong enough stick but found none. Then I had an idea: when no one was around I'd lift my daughter up and over into the bin and she'd quickly bend over and pull it to her. I'd then quickly pull her out before anyone comes along and sees us. Please note that the bin was fairly clean except for a bit of dust. So, my daughter agreed and in she went and rescued a beautiful slightly dirty scarf. She loved the colour and so I said I'd make something for her out of it.

When I got home I had a proper look at it. It was crocheted badly and there were some long brown hairs interweaved in it. So, I gave it a good wash by hand, because I think it's wool and when it dried I unravelled it and rolled it into these four balls pulling out any human hairs in the process. I also think that it's hand dyed and woven. It's quite rough and itchy to the touch so I said that I will make a pretty girl's bag out of it.

I told a friend at work (who also knits) about this and she quietly confessed that she'd have done the same thing.

Thanks for letting me share this with you.

Tamar

Antares 08-08-2012 11:43 AM

Beautiful yarn and what a heroic, masterful save, too. I equate this to finding a steal at a thrift store (they're often little more than dumps themselves).

Whatever it portends, I think you've got a winner here.

By the way, someone on this forum once suggested putting wool yarn of dubious origins in the freezer for a day or so to kill any critters (someone correct me if I've got this wrong). Of course, I'd stick it in Ziplock bags first.

Can't wait to see your "dumpster bag"! :teehee:

salmonmac 08-08-2012 12:52 PM

Sounds like a lucky save to me and it looks like lovely yarn. You and your daughter are unstoppable now! Love to see the rescued object when finished.

Jan in CA 08-08-2012 01:11 PM

Sounds perfectly normal to me! Good save!!

fatoldladyinpjs 08-08-2012 09:09 PM

Hey, why let perfectly good wool go to waste? I bought a hand knit wool sweater for a child $3 at my neighbor's rummage sale. She told me her kid only wore it once. She thought I was maybe going to give it to my granddaughter or something. I thought the sweater was ugly. I took the sweater apart and got some nice bulky wool yarn out of it. I just won't tell her.

Tamar Dohel 08-09-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1353920)
Love to see the rescued object when finished.

WHEN FINISHED! I'll have to fish this thread out and remined you all. :rofl:

:heart:

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Arielluria 08-09-2012 10:58 AM

Good job, great save! Welcome to the world of yarn and knit/crochet addicts. Shalom ;)

GrumpyGramma 08-09-2012 05:58 PM

Quote:

Has this yarn and knitting business gone too far?
You're just getting warmed up! I'd pull something like that out, if I had a child to help, all the better! Kids are really getting into Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Now, if it were at the bottom of a nasty dumpster, maybe not. Great find. Enjoy the knitting and feel proud that you kept it from the landfill!

ArtLady1981 08-10-2012 08:39 AM

Well all I gotta say is: it's very beautiful yarn! Worth the efforts! :happydance:

Jeremy 08-12-2012 11:52 AM

I have a feeling the story behind the bag will be as treasured as the bag. Its the kind of thing that family legends are made of. Good for you for rescuing the wool.