KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Frozen Tundra Hat (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110025)

fatoldladyinpjs 08-15-2012 06:08 PM

FO: Frozen Tundra Hat

1 Attachment(s)
In our northern climate, we need something that will keep us super warm. I've been experimenting with crochet stitches to try to come up with one that has no holes. Here is what I call the Frozen Tundra stitch. It's a hybrid of a linked double crochet and a woven stitch.

salmonmac 08-15-2012 08:13 PM

Beautiful color yarn and inventive stitch design. What is the yarn, btw? You'll look so stylish when the cold weather finally arrives.

fatoldladyinpjs 08-15-2012 08:15 PM

I should add that we call the area we live in The Frozen Tundra. That's because it's not unusual for temps to get 30 below zero F. Firefighters spray straight car antifreeze on hose and hydrant threads to keep them from freezing while fighting fires. Outside workers go inside frozen meat lockers (set at 10 below zero) to warm up. I kid you not. Anyway, we need a thick hat like this.

In answer to your question, this is Red Heart SuperSaver primary. The yarn isn't that great, but I like how this particular one has short stripes of color. I'm doing Walmart Red Heart because I'm knitting and crocheting hats and mittens for my local elementary school. Getting an early head start. These are nice small projects to do while on my 45 minute commute home from work via public transportation. I'm getting a lot done that way. I also do a little on my break at work. I quit smoking six months ago, so I'm trying to replace burning one at lunch with positive habits and having something to show for it.

fatoldladyinpjs 08-15-2012 08:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are some more of my "bus hats" for kids at my local elementary school.

Antares 08-15-2012 10:18 PM

These are all fantastic. Love the colors, and the stitch pattern (in addition to being very warm--based on your experiments) really is unique and quite lovely.

Congrats on your continued kicked habit. May it be a life-long one--and what a productive way to take up the slack! :cheering:

Jan in CA 08-15-2012 10:38 PM

Those are beautiful and that's a great cause!

I hate RHSS because it hurts my hands to knit with it, but they do have pretty colors.

ETA- I just now saw the comment from Nonny and then your post about quitting smoking! Good for you! I've never been a smoker, but my husband did for 20 yrs. Replacing the bad habit with a good one is an excellent idea! Keep your mind and your hands busy. You can do it!

nonny2t 08-16-2012 08:55 AM

Pretty cool and wonderful bright colors. You will stay cozy this winter!!:thumbsup:What a nice thing to do for the kids and the most wonderful thing to do for yourself, quitting smoking. Since I have never been a smoker, I can't possibly understand the addiction, but I have my own and struggle with weight problems all the time so in that realm I can certainly understand. Congrats on the big step and keep up the good work.
I grew up in northwest Indiana, but at my age, I could never go back to living in a cold, snowy area again. I don't know how you do it, but my bones complain and I am always terrified of slipping and falling when I am up there visiting family in the winter. I traded that for intense humidity so it is no picnic either! lolol

ArtLady1981 08-17-2012 07:32 PM

Oooooo, I like this! Very very much! The colors are perfect...plus the your unique pattern stitch doesn't look old-school "crochet". It's very current! Great work there!

pixidaria 08-19-2012 11:08 AM

very nice hat!!