KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   need help with snuggly baby speckle dk from sirdir (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110050)

ninz 08-18-2012 09:47 AM

need help with snuggly baby speckle dk from sirdir

Hi everyone,

My name is Nina and I have recently entered the world of knitting and boy do I love it!!!

I had just finished a scarf and I now am on two projects, a sock with 4 needles and a baby tank top jumper from sirdir!

In regards to the tank top I have just finished the back of it as it tells me to cast off the remaining 17 sts. After that it says FRONT and says to cast on 58.

Now this might sound silly so forgive me but do I cut off the yarn after I have casted off the back or do I carry on and cast on the 58 for the front side?

Do most patterns tell you to do the parts separately and then have them join it altogether?

Any help would be so gravely appreciated!

Thank you in advance xXx

salmonmac 08-18-2012 09:55 AM

Hi and welcome to knitting and to Knitting Help!
Yes, you should cut the yarn after you cast off for the back. Leave about a 6 inch tail so that you can weave it in later when the pieces are put together. It's very common for patterns to be written in several pieces. But because we like to knit and not so much to sew things together, there are also patterns that are knit in one piece or just a few pieces. Good luck with the sweater and come back if you have more questions.

Ingrid 08-18-2012 09:55 AM

Welcome!

Yes, cut the yarn, the back is done. Leave a tail to weave in later so nothing unravels.

Most patterns have some amount of seaming involved, though there are many that are knit in one piece, and some can be adapted to leave fewer seams.

ninz 08-18-2012 10:01 AM

:woot: THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I was expecting a reply in hours lol that was super fast!

Thank you so much Ingrid and Salmonmac!!!

Now I can get on to the front yeeey!

I don't know if anyone has this pattern???.... If so, I don't see where it says how to put it together or perhaps it does I have just probably missed it or misunderstood...?

salmonmac 08-18-2012 10:07 AM

It may have a heading called "Finishing" that will tell you to do something like seam the shoulders together and seam the front and back at the sides. Maybe you'll pick up sts around the neck and armholes. Usually there are some directions for this at the end.

suzeeq 08-18-2012 10:08 AM

The putting together instructions will be at or near the end, usually under Finishing, where it will say how to sew the pieces.

ninz 08-18-2012 10:52 AM

There is something that says 'To make up'... I wonder if that is the finishing? It mentions joining and also covering with damp cloths, lol this will be interesting.

Ingrid 08-18-2012 10:55 AM

Yes, that would be the finishing. The damp cloth thing is to flatten out the pieces. It may not be absolutely necessary, depending on the yarn you're using.

ninz 08-19-2012 02:17 AM

I'm stuck again :(

The subtitle says 'Divide for neck' it then says for the next row:
K19, turn, leave rem 20 sts on a stitch holder.

What does turn mean?

Again any help or advice would be so appreciated! XXx

salmonmac 08-19-2012 04:38 AM

Turn is just what you always do when you get to the end of a row. Take the needle with the stitches from your right hand to your left hand and knit or purl the sts. This time you're only working 19stitches and then turning to work back on those same 19sts. Don't worry about the other 20sts (putting them on a stitch holder or some scrap yarn will keep them out of your way). You'll get to them later. Right now you're working on one side of the shoulder and neck.
You really are making progress!