KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Outdoor knitting and mosquitoes? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110149)

shadowfox118 08-27-2012 07:55 PM

Outdoor knitting and mosquitoes?

Anyone else love to knit outdoors? I love to, but too there are too many mosquitoes outside for me to knit now. But it's sooo nice outside right now, anyone have tips for dealing with these annoying pests? :wall: :wall: anyone have any ideas?

suzeeq 08-27-2012 08:10 PM

Citronella pots or candles? I don't know how well they work though, just a suggestion.

shadowfox118 08-27-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1355123)
Citronella pots or candles? I don't know how well they work though, just a suggestion.

I tried one of the off pot things... didn't work, I still got snacked on by a few mosquitoes before I ran in the house

nanasaidso 08-27-2012 08:13 PM

The 'squitos love to munch on me. I am not so fond of them. :( They're really bad where we are, and I just don't think it's healthy to coat yourself with bug spray every day, so I bought one of those industrial looking fans that's mounted in a u-type frame that lets you tilt the fan in different directions. I use it when I'm weeding flowerbeds, etc., and it just blows the bugs away. It doesn't need to be on full blast to work, and it works better than a box fan because you can aim it where you need it.

Marta

Christinechrstms1 08-29-2012 01:55 AM

citronella candles work wonderfully, put one one each side of you and you will be fine. You can also plant citronella but as it is a weed and very invasive you will have to thin it at times. I have friends who let the citronella grow all over their yard and they are mosquito free

shadowfox118 08-29-2012 05:58 PM

Can't... lol I can't buy citronella until after I get my ipod fixed... long story on that... but anyways thanks for the advice... maybe I have to wait till it gets cooler >.<

Jan in CA 08-29-2012 11:43 PM

Oh you poor thing... all of you! I'm SO glad we don't get many mosquitoes here! :zombie: I can't remember the last time I saw one... knock on wood!

ArtLady1981 08-30-2012 05:26 AM

I purchased some mosquito repellant that is natural. It really really works. I read about it in the Sunday newspaper several years ago. In the Travel section, some mountaineers/hikers were discussing what they do about mosquitoes when they're tramping through the rain forests here in Washington State. They all swore by this! And now I can, too.

REPEL Lemon Eucalyptus Insect Spray
I bought mine in the camping section of my Fred Meyer Store. It wasn't expensive. A little goes a long ways. It isn't obnoxious. It works! Click here to read all about it.

salmonmac 08-30-2012 06:46 AM

Thank you, will try. It's mosquito heaven on the east coast this year.

Sewing Angel 08-30-2012 09:42 AM

We had been mostly mosquito free here. Last week we had a huge rain (3" in 1 1/2 hours) and now are being inundated with them. I was out for 10 minutes to water some flowers and have 10 bites! I bought some Cutter Natural Outdoor Fogger to spray around. I need to get something else for me! I will try ArtLady's suggestion.