Forum Forum (
-   Pattern Central (
-   -   What is a... (

shadowfox118 09-17-2012 01:42 PM

What is a...
What is a turning ridge? I'm doing a pattern for slippers and came across the name, what is it and what does it do?

suzeeq 09-17-2012 01:50 PM

It's a purl ridge done on a RS row (or a knit row on the WS) where you turn up a hem.

Jan in CA 09-17-2012 02:57 PM

Can you give us the pattern name and link please?

If you're doing stockinette a turning row can also kind of make a corner like around the base of a foot. Is that where it is or is it a hem?

shadowfox118 09-17-2012 03:56 PM

It's a garter stitch pattern in a book

suzeeq 09-17-2012 04:00 PM

That's odd, a turning ridge is usually done on a stockinette piece. Is this knit in the round or flat? When you knit every row flat that's garter, when you knit every round working in the round, it's stockinette stitch.

Can you post a few lines of the pattern, just before and just after this instruction?

shadowfox118 09-17-2012 04:11 PM

lol it's knit flat, it's a knit 17, p1 (turning ridge) knit 14 p1 (turning ridge) knit across

suzeeq 09-17-2012 04:19 PM

Okay, I think I know how this is put together. The purl stitches on this side will form 2 columns of knit stitches on the other side. These will be the sides of the slipper when you fold it closed, the 14 sts in the middle are the sole. The 'turning ridge' is just for information to let you know where they are later in the pattern when it refers to them. You don't have to do anything different, just follow the pattern as written.

shadowfox118 09-17-2012 04:20 PM

I know that :) I figured that out with what jan said

shadowfox118 09-17-2012 04:31 PM

I know I am getting ahead of myself, because I'm not there yet but what do I do when I get to the last row and it says k2 tog; do not bind off 10 stitches, what do I do then?

shadowfox118 09-17-2012 04:35 PM

the book
1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 56084

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:18 PM.