KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Baby Clothes (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110443)

insanenewknitter 09-18-2012 04:31 PM

FO: Baby Clothes

3 Attachment(s)
I haven't posted anything new in a while, but don't worry, I haven't been idle!
Today I had the great pleasure of dropping off my first round of baby clothes at the crisis pregnancy center. The girl working was thrilled when she saw the cardigans, she asked me if they were very hard, and then hung them up in the front so all the girls could see them. I was greatly encouraged by this!
I had collected some stuff from people at my church, so I brought a box and two trash bags of clothes and bedding, some baby food, and even a high chair! I knitted two cardigans and two blankets, one sewn and one knitted, (first pic) two teddys (second pic), and five hats and five pairs of booties. (Third pic, two pairs of booties not shown.)

I am so eager to make more, I'm so glad that even something as small as my knitting can have an impact on the mother's life, by telling her in a simple way that someone cares for her and her baby. :thumbsup:

Jan in CA 09-18-2012 04:57 PM

What a great gift you gave them! They are beautiful! :thumbsup:

salmonmac 09-18-2012 05:51 PM

You certainly have been busy! Those are beautiful gifts and it's a wonderful cause. You're right that they really demonstrate the care that you feel towards mom and baby.

GrumpyGramma 09-18-2012 05:56 PM

You and your gifts and bright blessings to others. It sounds as though you are blessed too.

Tntgin4118 09-18-2012 06:47 PM

Awesome, Shana! My DIL is in her internship at a women's crisis center in the Dallas area. So many times women arrive with, literally, the clothes on their backs. Babies or children in pjs (or just a diaper) and traumatized, favorite toy or comfort item left behind. Those caring gifts mean more than you can imagine to those Moms. Those are Blessings you give... so much more than gifts.

Best wishes to you!

nonny2t 09-19-2012 08:32 AM

They are beautiful and will be greatly appreciated I am sure. Good to see you in here!

fatoldladyinpjs 09-19-2012 09:59 AM

Beautiful work! Most likely these will become family heirlooms, passed down to future generations in years to come.

usamacka 09-19-2012 10:12 AM

Your finished works are beautiful and the color choices are just soothing....I can imagine very happy babies!

Antares 09-19-2012 11:19 AM

What a wonderful collection of baby items! Love the bears, and the blankets, and the . . . okay, I like everything! :)

You've inspired me (did you know you were an inspiration?)! I have been wanting to destash by making some baby things but wasn't sure what to do with the items once they're made. I had vague ideas about contacting the local hospital here, but it's very small and most people only use it for emergencies.

I've known that there was a crises pregnancy center in a nearby town, but it never occurred to me that they take handmade items as donations--until your post. So I contacted them yesterday to see if they would welcome handmade baby things. Needless to say, they have more need for these items than I can probably fill, but nonetheless, I'm happy to make as many things as I can for them. I already have two baby hats, and I'm doing some bibs now.

See! Inspiration, indeed! Thank you!

MerigoldinWA 09-19-2012 02:28 PM

These are great and it is an extra blessing that you inspired Antares to make things for her nearby crisis pregnancy center as well. The mom's well love them and the babies will look so cute in the booties, hats, blankets and sweaters.