KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   stretchy bind off? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110447)

dturner 09-18-2012 11:30 PM

stretchy bind off?

Which bind off is best when you need a stretchy bind off? I am making some toe-up booties, so I want to use a stretchy bind off for the cuffs. I found one where you work two stitches (in pattern, I think). You then insert the left needle into the front of those two stitches and knit them together (like a ssk). Has anyone tried that one?

suzeeq 09-18-2012 11:35 PM

Yes, I use that one, or the purl version, it's pretty stretchy. Another one is Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy BO. There's a video on You tube somewhere too.

salmonmac 09-19-2012 05:35 AM

Here's one person's comparison of some stretchy bind offs. You may get diffferent results but at least it gives you an idea of several different ways to do this. I've also used the same method that you and Sue use for a flexible bind off.

fatoldladyinpjs 09-19-2012 09:23 AM

I'm another advocate of Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy bind off. What most new knitters don't know is that you need a stretchy bind off or cast on for things like socks, hats, mittens, and gloves. I made a beautiful pair of mittens for a little girl. Even casting on loosely with a long tail cast on, they wouldn't stretch enough to get them over her hands. The cast on I like is the German Twisted cast on. You'll find videos of it in KH's cast on videos listed in the free videos section at the top of this page.

dturner 09-19-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1356806)
Here's one person's comparison of some stretchy bind offs. You may get diffferent results but at least it gives you an idea of several different ways to do this. I've also used the same method that you and Sue use for a flexible bind off.

That is a very interesting comparison. I didn't realize there were so many ways to cast off! After seeing EZ's sewn bind off, I think I may go with that one. Thanks very much!

dturner 09-19-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs (Post 1356817)
I'm another advocate of Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy bind off. What most new knitters don't know is that you need a stretchy bind off or cast on for things like socks, hats, mittens, and gloves. I made a beautiful pair of mittens for a little girl. Even casting on loosely with a long tail cast on, they wouldn't stretch enough to get them over her hands. The cast on I like is the German Twisted cast on. You'll find videos of it in KH's cast on videos listed in the free videos section at the top of this page.

Thanks for the info. I use long tail CO also, and sometimes I find that my CO edge is not very stretchy. I'm going to take a look at the video for the German Twisted cast on. Thanks for your help!

Daylilydayzed 09-20-2012 05:29 PM

I use the stretchy cast on by Tilly Buddy on Youtube. It really stretches . When I made my 8 year old grandson in Va. a pair of mittens, I tested the stretchiness by having my 12 year old grandson try the mitten cuff on, was using magic loop on mitten.