KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Lounge (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Soldier's ranks ... (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110526)

DavidSydney63 09-26-2012 10:03 AM

Soldier's ranks ...

Ok - so I've noticed that my "rank" has gone from novice (though that wasn't the word used) to Ribbing the Cuff (:muah: ). How do I get to the next rank?
:knitting:

Antares 09-26-2012 11:40 AM

David, I think it's just a cute little way of tallying how many posts you have. Eventually, it seems, you "make" an entire sock via your posts.

Now how you "make" the other sock, I don't know! :wink:

So keep on posting and you'll move through the ranks!

GrumpyGramma 09-26-2012 01:28 PM

Didn't you know you're knitting a sock? I was somewhat surprised when I realized I was. So I had to do it IRL.

Jan in CA 09-26-2012 07:24 PM

You guys are funny! :lol: It just a fun way to refer to the number of posts you have. You get further on the sock as you post. Obviously mine says moderator or mod squad so you'll have to look at what some other people have. You'll have to post more to move up the sock. Or I guess down since this is a top down sock.

DavidSydney63 09-27-2012 06:37 AM

it's ironic isn't it ... a sock would be the last thing I'd knit!!

:knitting:

:rofl:

Christinechrstms1 09-27-2012 07:18 AM

well I thought I would never knit a sock either but when someone posted on another site asking what is their favorite thing to knit, the majority of replies were "socks".

I wondered why and people explained that there was something satisfying about seeing it evolve.

I may knit a pair someday for my daughter as she is a big unique sock fan.

GrumpyGramma 09-27-2012 01:06 PM

Knitting socks is cool. I thought, if I can knit a sock, I can knit anything. Not necessarily so, but I can knit a sock. I can even knit two at a time, toe up or top down. Now I need to get to that yarn that's waiting. I started with worsted weight yarn and made in-home socks to keep my feet warm. My GS decided he needed thick, short top socks for slippers and he got them. If the toe or heel intimidates you you can try stirrup socks. http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/80004AD.html

Whatever you decide to knit, enjoy!

Jan in CA 09-27-2012 02:10 PM

I have knit a bunch of socks in various weights and techniques. Funny thing is that I have not only wide feet, but some issues that makes my feet extremely sensitive and I can't usually even wear them. I did them originally just to see if I could and found them kind of magical. Watching that heel turn and then form with gusseting was very cool.

My friends that knit them a lot like that they are very small take along projects. They don't usually care that they go slowly, being knit mostly in the car, waiting for appts, at lunch, etc. Personally, since I have foot issues, I use "stash hats" that I make for charity as my take along project.

And finally.... I'm starting a class next week where we make 3 pair of socks all at once. That's 6 total socks. They will be made on separate needles thankfully. We are just making them all at the same time....6 toes, then 6 insteps, etc. no 2nd sock syndrome for us. Why am I doing this since I can't wear them you ask? Because all my knitting friends are taking the class and I don't want to sit w/o them at the other table! It's a disease. :zombie:

And yes, I'll post pics when I'm done.:thumbsup:

Christinechrstms1 09-27-2012 06:25 PM

what you said about the heel forming is exactly how others said they felt. I definitely will try a pair.

Jan in CA 09-27-2012 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Christinechrstms1 (Post 1357352)
what you said about the heel forming is exactly how others said they felt. I definitely will try a pair.

You could knit her a pair of thicker house socks to learn. Then go for tiny needles and fingering weight when you have the hang of it.

BTW... The 3 pair I'm making are being knit on US 0. Yeah, zero. :zombie: the swatch I did with US 1 was a little loose for socks. They last longer when knit a little tighter. Oh and use a yarn with nylon in the fiber. It also helps them to last longer.