KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pattern Help; Short Rows? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110532)

mrensing 09-26-2012 07:38 PM

Pattern Help; Short Rows?

I am currently working on a pattern for a v neck camisole. Along the neckline is a leaf pattern. I am to the point to start short rows at the top of the neckline. In the picture it appears the integrity of the leaf pattern is intact. I have not worked short rows before.

Shape Neckline
K to last 3 sts, w&t. P to end.
K to last 6 sts, w&t. P to end.
K to last 9 sts, w&t. P to end.
K to last 12 sts, w&t. P to end.
K to last 15 sts, w&t. P to end.
K to last 18 sts, w&t. P to end.
K to last 21 sts, w&t. P to end.
BO all sts, working wraps together with wrapped sts.

RIGHT FRONT
Replace held sts on needle with RS facing, and rejoin yarn.
When working the Right Front, you will work from Chart 3. As with Chart 2, begin working from Chart 3 on the row which follows the last row you worked of Chart 1.

Next Row [RS]: Work in pattern to marker, k to end.

Sizes S, M, L Only:
Next Row [WS]: BO 2[3, 2, -, -] sts, work in pattern to end. 49[56, 59, -, -] sts.

Next Row [RS]: Work in pattern to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2.
Work 1 row in pattern.
Repeat these 2 rows 3 times more. 45[51, 54, -, -] sts.

Work 2 rows in pattern.

All Sizes:
Next Row [RS]: Work in pattern to last 4 sts, k2tog, k2.
Work 3 rows in pattern.
Repeat these 4 rows 0[2, 2, 3, 5] times more. 44[48, 51, 53, 56] sts.

Continue in pattern until work measures 19.5[19.5, 20, 20.5, 21] inches from turning row, ending with a RS row.

Shape Neckline
P to last 3 sts, w&t. K to end.
P to last 6 sts, w&t. K to end.
P to last 9 sts, w&t. K to end.
P to last 12 sts, w&t. K to end.
P to last 15 sts, w&t. K to end.
P to last 18 sts, w&t. K to end.
P to last 21 sts, w&t. K to end.
BO all sts purlwise, working wraps together with wrapped sts.

salmonmac 09-26-2012 07:43 PM

This video should help with the short rows. Is there something else about the pattern that's giving problems?

mrensing 09-26-2012 09:21 PM

I think that I am having trouble orientating my work. Which side is the right and which is the left side of the work, is it in relation to looking at the piece or wearing the piece?

mrensing 09-26-2012 09:26 PM

In addition, which side of the work is to remain on the needle? The neckline side, or the shoulder side? I think then the pattern would start to make some sense. Thanks again for your help.

mrensing 09-26-2012 09:27 PM

http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring07/PATTisabella.html

Jan in CA 09-26-2012 09:34 PM

The side that looks like smooth v's is the right side or front. Bumpy purl side is the back or wrong side.

mrensing 09-26-2012 09:44 PM

The question is not the "Right and Wrong" side of the work. The question is the Right of Left. Is it in relation to looking at the work, or is it in relation to wearing the work?

suzeeq 09-26-2012 09:52 PM

The Right and Left sides would be as you wear it.

mrensing 09-26-2012 09:58 PM

Great thanks. I figured as much using the leaf chart, but it did not seam to help me in understanding the rest of the pattern any better. Have been working on just trying to understand this pattern all day..... was hoping to finish the project....

salmonmac 09-27-2012 05:58 AM

Back after the directions to shape the armholes (Front), the next section divides the work into left side and right side. Each of these will have a neckline side and a shoulder side. In the directions after the initial armhole bind off, when you divide for left and right sides:
Sizes S, M, L Only:
Next Row [RS]: BO 2[3, 2, -, -] sts, k to marker, work 12 sts in patt; sl next st to cable needle and hold to back of work, k next st, slip st from cable needle to left needle. Slip all sts from left needle to stitch holder. 51[59, 61, -, -] sts on needle.
You're to work across as the directions say and then slip the sts on the left needle to a holder. These sts are for the right side of the sweater. You're going to work the left side (as you would wear the sweater) first, then go to the held sts. The directions for the right side are further down in the pattern, before the Finishing instructions.