KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Multi-colour vest (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110556)

DavidSydney63 09-29-2012 02:38 AM

Multi-colour vest

Ok, having just bought Kaffe (rhymns with safe) Fassett's Glorious Knitting; I've decided to knit every row a different colour. Is it best to leave long kengths at the end od rows where I know I'll not use that colour again. Also where I have my base colour that will appear every 5 or 6 rows, should I just leave off and start using the yarn again without breaking? So trailing it up the seem edge,

Love and light, David x:knitting:

Jan in CA 09-29-2012 02:46 AM

I would probably only carry it up the side if you're doing the colors every few 2 or 3 rows and/or if you're going to be seaming it.

I have to admit though it's tempting to give it a try since weaving in all those ends is daunting... :zombie:

DavidSydney63 09-29-2012 03:09 AM

Jan, you're right - actually I would keep one colour going for two rows (as it's all stocking stitch basically). I love the way Fassett also uses the colours in his rib, too. Certainly the addition of colour changes to rib can ONLY make it more pleasant.

Is it just me or do most knitters find 1 x 1 rib tedious ... yarn forward, yarn back, yarn forward, yarn back ... erk.

salmonmac 09-29-2012 08:00 AM

Kaffe Fassett is a master of color. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished vest. I carry the yarn loosely up the sides for several rows, usually catching it every few rows by twisting it with the working yarn at the edge. It's all going to be in a seam but it'll still make the seam neater.
I think you need a rich interior life to get through 1x1 rib, at least I do.

suzeeq 09-29-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Is it just me or do most knitters find 1 x 1 rib tedious ... yarn forward, yarn back, yarn forward, yarn back ... erk.
I do, but I knit english so it's very tedious to yf, yb all the time. I avoid ribbing unless it's just for a few rows on a hat. Sometimes. But it's a lot easier to rib if you knit continental or combined, so it depends on your style. If you knit english but flick the yarn with the index finger, it might not be so bad.

Antares 09-29-2012 09:14 AM

There are lots of combinations of ribbing, so if you don't like 1x1, try something else (2x2, 1x3, 2x4, etc.) and see what you like. I love using seed stitch and garter stitch for ribbing, too. And some of the fancier ribbings are both fun to do and very pretty; however, if you're making this vest for you or some other man, most of the fancy ribbings are probably too lacy. Lion Brand Yarn has a bank of knit stitches, which includes some of these ribbings (you have to log in to their site to see it--but it's free and they don't send you junk mail; pssst . . . . I always use a fake name and email address).

So did you conquer the seam puppy on your hoodie? Would love to see the finished project!

And your current project sounds really interesting. Hope it works out the way you're imagining it.

GrumpyGramma 09-29-2012 01:43 PM

Quote:

I've wondered if Continental knitting was invented for ribbing. Since I've only just learned the English method (for a different color in each hand) I now understand the distaste for ribbing. You knit English? You might try learning Continental even if you only use it for ribbing. It is so so so much easier.

Jan in CA 09-29-2012 03:00 PM

Ribbing...:zombie: although I learned as an English knitter I did learn continental for a 1x1 ribbed scarf. Worked great. Now I can use the two handed method for fair isle, too. :thumbsup:

DavidSydney63 09-29-2012 06:18 PM

Fascinating to read all your views on ribbing. I do, of course, knit "English" style (as both the vast majority of Aussie knitters).

The group I'm Secretary of (Sutherland Shire Spinners and Weavers Inc) has a wonderful knitter as a member and he knits continental style. I must learn this as he says it will save you 1/3 of the time to knit or more than English.

Food for thought.

David - love and light

Jan in CA 09-29-2012 07:37 PM

That's not entirely true. Many continental knitters will tell you that, but I've seen english knitters knit like the wind. I've also seen slow continental knitters. So it's really how you learn to tension the yarn and experience I think. It's just a bit of a pain for ribbing.