KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Sampler Afghan (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110666)

cheley 10-12-2012 10:09 AM

Sampler Afghan

Hi all, haven't been around in awhile...because I have decided to knit this beautiful "Sampler" for my nephew's wedding...picking and choosing along the way (he and fiancee are late 20's)..here's the question: each block has a meaning, and instead of "including" a pick, I am trying to come up with a way to "label" each one on the back..(I am "awful" at crosstich and embroidery) any thoughts?http://www.amazon.com/Knit-Sampler-A...ref=pd_sxp_f_i

Ingrid 10-12-2012 06:59 PM

I can't think of a way to label without some kind of stitchery, but it will be a lovely gift! Maybe you can make a 'map' to go with it--kind of like the one you get with a box of chocolates?

cheley 10-12-2012 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingrid (Post 1358337)
I can't think of a way to label without some kind of stitchery, but it will be a lovely gift! Maybe you can make a 'map' to go with it--kind of like the one you get with a box of chocolates?

Thank you Ingrid, that is a marvelous idea!!! When you mention "stitchery" what would you have in mind? I was so suprised too see that my post was looked at over 30 times and only 1 reply! We must be old timers!!! I plan to post a pic at completion.....

Antares 10-13-2012 09:18 AM

I confess to looking and not responding to your post because I have no idea what you're asking. Perhaps others did the same.

Are you wanting to "write" something on the blanket without using embroidery and/or cross stitch? If so, there are fabric paints, crayons, and pens that will work to some degree on a bumpy surface.

Otherwise, yeah, I have not a clue what you're trying to say: what does "including a pick" mean? Why do you need to label the sampler? In short, what the heck are you talking about? :)

(Somehow I'm thinking this isn't the kind of response you were expecting.)

cheley 10-13-2012 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1358355)
I confess to looking and not responding to your post because I have no idea what you're asking. Perhaps others did the same.

Are you wanting to "write" something on the blanket without using embroidery and/or cross stitch? If so, there are fabric paints, crayons, and pens that will work to some degree on a bumpy surface.

Otherwise, yeah, I have not a clue what you're trying to say: what does "including a pick" mean? Why do you need to label the sampler? In short, what the heck are you talking about? :)

(Somehow I'm thinking this isn't the kind of response you were expecting.)

PICK would be picture (sorry should of been pic)...The afghan has 25 blocks, each one has a "name" ex: Pineapple, Touch of Scotland, HOME, Falling trees, etc etc etc....without Labeling each and every block on the back (wrong side of the block)/square to give a description of the "block". I DO NOT want to include the picture of the Afghan (cover of the pattern book) with the gift.....that's "what the heck" I am talking about.....Any hand made item... knit, crochet, quilted etc.( which BTW ... by the way (I can do all) that I make has a special meaning,(keepsake) and in this case, it's a Wedding gift to my nephew.

Antares 10-13-2012 08:54 PM

Sorry, but WHY do you need to label the afghan at all--I mean, for your purposes to put it together? That's the only reason I can think to label it, so I'll go with that--of course, then the whole idea of embroidery/cross stitch/picture of the afghan doesn't make sense, so you can see why I still don't know what you're asking. :)

Anywhooo, for something non-permanent--maybe a safety pin with a piece of paper attached telling you what the block is so you can put it in the right place.

And if it really is something permanent you want, then I'll stick with the fabric paint, pen, or crayons idea that I mentioned earlier.

As to why few people responded, I'm positive it's because they, like me, are not understanding the purpose for these labels (in fact, I still don't understand what you want and WHY so, yeah, it's very confusing, which equals few responses).

Ingrid 10-13-2012 10:15 PM

Does it matter why? My impression was to tell what each square represented.

ArtLady1981 10-13-2012 11:02 PM

What a wonderful project, Cheley! Fabulous! It will be a 'forever family heirloom' and a gift of love!

If this was my project, here's what I'd do to memorialize the meaning of each square:

Create a 25 Squares document on Word ("insert chart"). Then type the meaning in each square. Print. Then laminate.

Or, screen the document onto fabric. I think T-shirt shops can screen anything you want onto a piece of fabric.

I like the idea of the laminated copy best. You can print the 25-Squares document onto really cool paper. Some paper looks like a "scroll". Some paper is ecru with gold embossed edges, like a frame. Then present it laminated, or in a plexi frame-less frame that sits up on its own.

ArtLady1981 10-13-2012 11:43 PM

What a wonderful project, Cheley! Fabulous! It will be a 'forever family heirloom' and a gift of love!

If this was my project, here's what I'd do to memorialize the meaning of each square:

Create a 25 Squares document on Word ("insert chart"). Then type the meaning in each square. Print. Then laminate.

Or, screen the document onto fabric. I think T-shirt shops can screen anything you want onto a piece of fabric.

I like the idea of the laminated copy best. You can print the 25-Squares document onto really cool paper. Some paper looks like a "scroll". Some paper is ecru, with gold embossed edges, like a frame. Then present it laminated, or in a plexi frame-less frame that sits up on its own.

GrumpyGramma 10-14-2012 02:00 AM

After reading other responses, I finally have something to add that might (or might not) be helpful.

Your afghan sounds lovely and so very meaningful. The 'chocolates map' sounds good to me, as does the printed document idea. Maybe somehow you could incorporate either or both with a photo or something written of the occasion that particular block represents or they could add their own photos.

I look forward to seeing your pic when you post it.