KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help please!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110747)

74char74 10-22-2012 01:00 PM

Help please!!

Hello! :)

I've just got a new knitting pattern for a big chunky scarf, but I must be misunderstanding the pattern -

The instructions: alt k1 p1; work 1 yarn over between each stitch. On all foll rows work sts as they appear and yarn over before each stitch, let the yarn overs of previous rows slide off the needle.

So I'm doing a yarn over, then knit, then yarn over, then pearl, etc. When I get to the next row I do the same, and drop the yarn overs from the previous row, which is I think what the pattern is asking me to do, but I just end up with big holes in the work!

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks v v v much

suzeeq 10-22-2012 01:03 PM

Yep, that's right - when you do a YO and drop it off on the next row, you get 'holes'. Actually, after you do a few rows, pull down on it and the stitches will become elongated and will look more like loose stitches rather than large holes.

salmonmac 10-22-2012 05:56 PM

Sounds like a way of making larger, looser stitches and a great way to make a soft, chunky scarf. Nice technique. Can you post a link to the pattern?

74char74 10-23-2012 04:42 AM

suzeeq - Thanks so much, that's really helpful :hug:

salmonmac - I'm afraid the pattern is on the bundle of wool so can't post a link to it - it's using 10mm needles and chunky wool, the full pattern is as I wrote previously if you wanted to give it a go

LoveBugAngel 01-30-2013 10:51 PM

I've been trying to help a friend online with this pattern it's written horribly. I have it on my bravo big skein
I can't even really understand what they want her to do. I'm going to refer her to this thread

Materials:
The yarn will make up the scarf as described in the method. Milward 10mm needles

Basic Pattern
Alt K1, P1; work 1 yarn-over before each stitch. On all foll rows work sts as they appear and a yarn-over before each stitch, let the yarn-overs of previous row slide off the needle

Tension
In basic pattern about 7 sts and 7 rows, each to 10cm

Method
For about 33cm in width cast on 24 sts and work in basic patt. When work measures about 95-105cm, just before the end of the ball, cast off all sts. See cast-on and cast-off edges tog.

Jan in CA 01-31-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 74char74 (Post 1359009)
suzeeq - Thanks so much, that's really helpful :hug:

salmonmac - I'm afraid the pattern is on the bundle of wool so can't post a link to it - it's using 10mm needles and chunky wool, the full pattern is as I wrote previously if you wanted to give it a go

The pattern will have a name though and we are pretty good at finding them!

GrumpyGramma 01-31-2013 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1368699)
The pattern will have a name though and we are pretty good at finding them!

You're also a master of understatement. Pretty good? Pretty good? :mrgreen:

suzeeq 01-31-2013 01:07 AM

It sounds like the Big Fab Loop scarf I found on ravelry to help a newbie out.

Jan in CA 01-31-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1368700)
You're also a master of understatement. Pretty good? Pretty good? :mrgreen:

:roflhard: