KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Charity Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Got Any Spare Needles? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110776)

auburnchick 10-24-2012 09:13 PM

Got Any Spare Needles?

Hi all!

I've been a bit MIA for the last couple of years. I got myself a teaching job and have been in the throes of learning how to teach and whatnot. For a forty-something year-old, starting a career later in life has been challenging but great fun too!

Here's the purpose for my post. I've basically got an informal knitting club going at school. What started with one student wanting to learn to knit has evolved, in four days to five girls.

I've run out of extra needles, although I do have plenty of yarn. Yay! I can finally justify my large stash! :rofl:

Does anyone have any spare needles they would be willing to donate?

I've got my kids using the long Boye needles, and they are happy with them because they are longer.

If you can donate anything, I'd be so grateful, as would they. I've got more girls wanting to learn than I have needles for, and my students are quite disadvantaged. Most of them receive free/reduced lunch. Buying needles is not an option for them.

Thanks in advance!!! My girls actually were saying "how natural" it felt to be knitting! Pretty cool, is it not? :cheering:

Thanks again!

:muah:

Jan in CA 10-24-2012 09:18 PM

I'll see what I've got. I don't think I've got any anymore though. :think: if I don't I'd be glad to send you a few bucks though to help out.

suzeeq 10-24-2012 09:24 PM

I've got some old straights in small sizes (3 and 5) and a pair of 11s. Would those work for you?

auburnchick 10-24-2012 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1359158)
I'll see what I've got. I don't think I've got any anymore though. :think: if I don't I'd be glad to send you a few bucks though to help out.

Awww...Jan...thank you!! :muah:

auburnchick 10-24-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1359159)
I've got some old straights in small sizes (3 and 5) and a pair of 11s. Would those work for you?

We can use anything!! Right now, I'm teaching them the basics. I'd love to see the girls make oddball baby blankets for the expectant gals on campus.

I can PM my mailing address.

Thank you!!

:hug:

Jan in CA 10-24-2012 09:38 PM

PM it to me, too!

GrumpyGramma 10-24-2012 09:49 PM

I don't think I have any needles I can send but I could come up with a few $$. With postage rates as high as they are I'd rather you spend the money on the needles anyhow. PM me too. This is great, what a gift your are for your students.

auburnchick 10-24-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1359165)
I don't think I have any needles I can send but I could come up with a few $$. With postage rates as high as they are I'd rather you spend the money on the needles anyhow. PM me too. This is great, what a gift your are for your students.

Honestly, my students are a gift to me. They teach me something new every day and fill the void that exists now that my children are away at college.

Me. Well, I'm just doing what comes naturally for a knitter by spreading the love of a craft I enjoy so much!

I'll send my info. Thank you bunches!!

:muah:

salmonmac 10-25-2012 05:55 AM

Please send me you address also.
Have you heard of the Helping Hands Program? It may be just what you need for support. It's a mentoring program to encourage needle arts (knit, crochet and needlepoint) for small to medium groups of children. I first saw it on a Knitting Daily episode.
Your own project sounds wonderful Good luck with it.

Shandeh 10-25-2012 02:08 PM

I have some of the circular needles you donated for the Oddball Blankets at my house. I can send them to you! Just send me a PM, confirming your mailing address. :)