KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Addi Click Turbos - too blunt? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110856)

ChrisMcCracken 11-04-2012 03:18 PM

Addi Click Turbos - too blunt?

I just got a set of Addi Clicks from an online retailer. I love their fit and finish and overall quality, but the tips seem too blunt compared to my previous needles, Boye Needlemasters and some straight needles from a cheap kit. Has anyone else had this same observation? Was it something you adjusted to or did it never get better? Should I just swap them out for the Lace set with long tips?

Thanks!
Chris

GrumpyGramma 11-04-2012 03:24 PM

I have Addi Turbo in size 2 and I'm stuck with them as the store that sold them to me wouldn't take them back. They are too blunt IMO. Lots of people like them but I prefer sharper points also. I've never used the lace tips. You're the first person I've come across who agrees with me! I am not alone.:muah:

ChrisMcCracken 11-04-2012 03:32 PM

Well, I'm glad I could give you that validation. It should also be noted that I'm a very new knitter with a strong tendency to knitting very tightly, exacerbating this issue. The blunt tips make me grip tighter and try to hold the yarn on the right tip as it pulls through using my index finger. It really makes knitting uncomfortable if I can't get it resolved.

Jan in CA 11-04-2012 04:13 PM

I agree. They are more blunt than than some. Both Hiya Hiya and Knitpicks Options are very sharp IMO. You can buy a single circ to test them. That's the best way before you spend for a whole set.

Try to knit looser, too. It will make knitting more fun if you're not fighting it. ;)

ChrisMcCracken 11-04-2012 04:21 PM

I already have the set, I'm just deciding whether to send them back for the sharper lace set or not. I am working on loosening up, but switching to these needles got be right back to day 1 super tight. I haven't had that feeling since the first 1-2 days I started knitting over a month ago. It doesn't help that I'm working on a cabled headband with dark cheap acrylic yarn at the moment. If I was doing simple stockinette and no increases or decreases it might not be an issue.

GrumpyGramma 11-04-2012 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1359775)
I agree. They are more blunt than than some. Both Hiya Hiya and Knitpicks Options are very sharp IMO. You can buy a single circ to test them. That's the best way before you spend for a whole set.

Try to knit looser, too. It will make knitting more fun if you're not fighting it. ;)

I am so happy with my Sunstruck needles from Knit Picks that I will probably order them in small sizes for socks, etc., of course it will have to be fixed circs. I'd consider the Cubics from WEBS but the stitches don't slide as easily on the squared needles. I do want to try the Hiya Hiyas. I'd have gotten the NP Options but I prefer the sharper tip on the wood needles. I think it must have something to do with the way I put the tip through the stitch, I'm not knitting particularly tight any more.

Jan in CA 11-04-2012 04:38 PM

Well, I meant test before you return them and get another set, but if you know you're going to hate them then go for it.

Cables can be tight so that isn't helping the issue as you noted.

GG, I have both the metal and wood from KP, but I think they are both really sharp. I had a hard time with that when I first got them, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I use fixed circs for socks as well.

ChrisMcCracken 11-04-2012 04:46 PM

I think I'm going to finish the current project then decide.

Jan in CA 11-04-2012 05:36 PM

I think that is a good idea. :thumbsup:

ABC's Mom 11-06-2012 04:10 PM

I have both Addi's and the Addi Lace. The Lace needles are much sharper and easier to work with, especially when just starting to knit.
I bought my Lace needles so I could do a left twist pattern where you are working in the back loop of the second stitch. Thought the regular Addi's would be too blunt. They've worked out well.
I still like the regular ones, but for fancier stitches the Lace is worth having a second set.