KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Converting flat pattern to circular (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110977)

Bundled 11-13-2012 11:25 AM

Converting flat pattern to circular

So like the silly girl I am, I got my heart set on making a cowl in this stitch without realizing that rows 4 and 8 mess it up because they have a different number of end stitches. Is there any way to adjust the pattern to make it workable on circular needles? I had someone mention adding two slipped stitches to the beginning of rows 4 and 8...?

Here's the pattern:

Rows 1 and 3 (WS): k1, *k2, p4; rep from *; end k1
Row 2: k1, *sl next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, k2, then k2 from cable needle; p2; rep from *, end k1
Row 4: k1, p2, *k2, sl next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in back, k2, then p2 from cable needle; rep from *, end k5
Rows 5 and 7: k1, *p4, k2; rep from *, end k1
Row 6: k1, *p2, sl next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in back, k2, then k2 from cable needle; rep from *, end k1
Row 8: k5, *sl next 2 sts to cable needle and hold in front, p2, then k2 from cable needle; k2, rep from *, end p2, k1

Thanks!

RochesterKnitter 11-13-2012 12:50 PM

To knit the pattern in the round rather than flat you have to knit every other row in reverse (end of row to start of row) AND opposite (K are P, P are K).

You shouldn't have to "change" the pattern, just mirror it

Bundled 11-13-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RochesterKnitter (Post 1360498)
To knit the pattern in the round rather than flat you have to knit every other row in reverse (end of row to start of row) AND opposite (K are P, P are K).

You shouldn't have to "change" the pattern, just mirror it

Yes, I know how to convert the rows and stitches, but since I would only use the repeated stitches, rows 4 and 8 wouldn't line up correctly because they have a different amount of seam stitches.

GrumpyGramma 11-13-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundled (Post 1360499)
Yes, I know how to convert the rows and stitches, but since I would only use the repeated stitches, rows 4 and 8 wouldn't line up correctly because they have a different amount of seam stitches.

What do you mean by "seam stitches"? If there is an edge stitch to allow for seaming when you knit flat, it would have to be eliminated to work in the round. Wouldn't it?

Bundled 11-13-2012 01:16 PM

Yeah, you would. But normally you would need those stitches at the end to be the same in all rows to remove them and work the pattern in the round. If you just take them off without adjusting the pattern, those rows (4 & 8) are offset.

suzeeq 11-13-2012 02:41 PM

Actually it's the 'WS' rows 1, 3, 5 and 7 that you would work reversed and leave the even rows the same. Yes you drop off a k1 at the beginning and end of the rows, so where it says 'k5' you would really do a k4.

Rows 1 and 3 would be,' k4, p2 across' and 5 and 7 are ' p2, k4'. Row 2 is c4f, p2 across. Row 4 is supposed to be offset so you begin with p2, cable back, and end with k4.

GrumpyGramma 11-13-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1360508)
Actually it's the 'WS' rows 1, 3, 5 and 7 that you would work reversed and leave the even rows the same. Yes you drop off a k1 at the beginning and end of the rows, so where it says 'k5' you would really do a k4.

Rows 1 and 3 would be,' k4, p2 across' and 5 and 7 are ' p2, k4'. Row 2 is c4f, p2 across. Row 4 is supposed to be offset so you begin with p2, cable back, and end with k4.

Thanks, Sue, that's what I thought about dropping a k1 at each end. My experience is not great enough to be able to just think it through, I would have to work it flat, see it for myself, then try it in the round. I got involved in the discussion to try to understand it myself.

Bundled 11-13-2012 04:38 PM

Thanks so much for all your help everyone! I didn't think to just drop one of the outside knit stitches, I thought I had to get rid of the whole set. Thanks again :)