KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Pink Cabled Cardi (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111018)

ArtLady1981 11-17-2012 12:44 AM

FO: Pink Cabled Cardi
 
Phew. Finally done! I am really loving this cardigan. Especially due to the 'springiness' of the yarn. I watched a KDTV-Series 900 video where Eunny Jang and Clara Parkes were talking about 'springy' yarns. Yarns that are spun with a lot of plies and twist have more 'energy' built into the yarn itself. Energy = Springiness. I've always wondered why some yarns have 'spring' and others don't. Great info. Yarns that are springy create a sweater with lots of give. I like that. It's very comfortable. No binding, no strain.





Daytime:






Accurate color, taken in daylight:


Rav notes

Here is a closseup of the yarn. See how round the strand is? See all the plies?


As I disassembled the yarn...I discovered 8 plies total. Each two (plies) were twisted
and plied together, then the 4 twisted 2-plies were spun into the final plump, round yarn!

This resulted in a very 'energetic' yarn! Nice and springy!

GrumpyGramma 11-17-2012 01:09 AM

Oh that's purty. It's like a breath of spring. I like it. Beautifully done. Good info, thanks for sharing it too.

Jan in CA 11-17-2012 01:32 AM

That is beautiful!!

yarnrainbow 11-17-2012 03:14 AM

Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Your work is always exquisite. All stitches so even, no pulls around your cables, perfect finishing...perfect tension. And excellent pattern, yarn color selections. You don't even have a problem with flaring when you cast-off ribbing! *sigh* I'd ask you how you do it but I'm kind of afraid of your answer. ARE you a new type of knitting machine? Lol!

The real answer is probably the difference between natural talent and experience (you) and a real desire but no natural talent (me). Oh well, my grandkids love the stuff I make (and I am still gonna try to get that good)!

ArtLady1981 11-17-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarnrainbow (Post 1360803)
Lovely, lovely, lovely!

Your work is always exquisite. All stitches so even, no pulls around your cables, perfect finishing...perfect tension. And excellent pattern, yarn color selections. You don't even have a problem with flaring when you cast-off ribbing! *sigh* I'd ask you how you do it but I'm kind of afraid of your answer. ARE you a new type of knitting machine? Lol!

The real answer is probably the difference between natural talent and experience (you) and a real desire but no natural talent (me). Oh well, my grandkids love the stuff I make (and I am still gonna try to get that good)!

The only tip I have for casting off when the stitches on my needle are ribbing is: knit the knits and purl the purls as you go....or as the pattern might state: bind off in pattern.

For this sweater, it was knit from the bottom up, so I cast on for the ribbing. There is a special cast on for ribbing, too, but I forgot to use it! I just did the ole longtail cast on.

Thanks for all your kind words! :hug:

salmonmac 11-17-2012 06:21 AM

Oh, just flat-out gorgeous, again. The yarn looks perfect in the pattern and the color is so soft and pretty. What yarn is it, btw? I haven't seen the 900 series yet but Clara Parkes certainly does know yarn. Good lesson on energetic yarn, thank you.

nonny2t 11-17-2012 09:06 AM

I really love it and love the color too!

ArtLady1981 11-17-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1360815)
What yarn is it, btw? I haven't seen the 900 series yet but Clara Parkes certainly does know yarn. Good lesson on energetic yarn, thank you.



Each segment of the new 900 Series has a 'sit down' with Clara Parkes and Eunny Jang. Clara shares information about yarns. I learned a lot from this 900 Series. Very informational. I liked hearing what Clara has to say. She's like a yarn scientist. I respect her views and reports about yarn more than any other 'expert'. She isn't promoting one yarn over another. She makes no money by talking up a particular yarn. I've found her yarn analyses to be spot on. Much to my chagrin...I wish I'd read some of her analyses before purchasing some yarns that were awful. Well, at least I know why now...:pout:

Jan in CA 11-17-2012 08:26 PM

Oh! I have a few skeins of Pure Merino, but haven't used it yet. It's one of the few wools that look and feel (to the hand anyway) like I might be able to tolerate it. I should get a few more and attempt a scarf or cowl.

ArtLady1981 11-18-2012 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1360853)
Oh! I have a few skeins of Pure Merino, but haven't used it yet. It's one of the few wools that look and feel (to the hand anyway) like I might be able to tolerate it. I should get a few more and attempt a scarf or cowl.

Here is a Garland Cowl I'm tempted to knit. Free pattern; uses only 180-200 yds.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/garland-cowl


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 AM.


copyright knittinghelp.com