KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help with vintage pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111031)

Demi61 11-18-2012 08:27 AM

Help with vintage pattern

Does anyone understand the following instruction?
K1 *(KB1, wf)twice, (wf.,sl1, K1, psso, wf)twice, K3, wf., sl1, K1 psso, K7, K2tog, wf, K3, (wf., sl1, K2tog., psso, wf)3times rep from * to last 2 sts, KB1, K1

Not sure how to wf twice.

salmonmac 11-18-2012 09:48 AM

K1 *(KB1, wf)twice, (wf.,sl1, K1, psso, wf)twice, K3, wf., sl1, K1 psso, K7, K2tog, wf, K3, (wf., sl1, K2tog., psso, wf)3times rep from * to last 2 sts, KB1, K1

It means wool forward but in this case it sounds more like a yarn over. I underlined the portion that would have the wf twice for a double yarn over. You would just wrap the yarn around the needle again. If it is a double yarn over, the next row usually gives directions for working it (either slipping one wrap off the needle or knitting one wrap and purling the other, for example). The row will increase 4sts across.
Can you give us a pattern link or tell us the name of the pattern and what it is? Could you quote the next few lines?

Demi61 11-18-2012 11:20 AM

Vintage matinee jacket

Thanks, but the following line in K1, P1. The row after that is K1 *(KB1.,(wf.sl1, K2tog.,psso.,wf)3 times, K4, wf., sl1, K1 psso, K5, K2tog., wf., K4 (wf.,sl1., K2tog., psso wf)3 times, rep from *to last 2 sts, KB1 K1.

This matinee jacket is knitted from the neck edge down. Once the lace yoke is complete the stitches are divided and worked on separately to create the two fronts, two sleeves and the back.

If you put wf in the previous instruction and then repeat it in the following instruction you are essentially wrapping the wool around the needle twice. I have never come across this before.

suzeeq 11-18-2012 12:19 PM

Usually double YOs aren't split at the beginning and end of the stitch repeat, they'd be written as yo/yf twice. But that's what you do, just wrap the yarn around so there's 2 loops on the needle. The next row you'd treat them as single stitches and knit into 1 of them loops and purl into the other one. I think - in the stitch repeat there's 2 decs to offset the 2 YOs, but not in stitches at the beginning of the first row you posted. Did you get this pattern online and could you post the link to it if you did? There may be something missing that could help us figure it out.

salmonmac 11-18-2012 01:12 PM

Yes, the k1p1 on the next rows makes perfect sense. That'll take care of the double yarn over. I don't understand the number of sts on the following row however. I asked because I thought it would help with the extra sts in the original row you quoted.

Demi61 11-19-2012 04:03 PM

K1 *(KB1, wf)twice, (wf.,sl1, K1, psso, wf)twice, K3, wf., sl1, K1 psso, K7, K2tog, wf, K3, (wf., sl1, K2tog., psso, wf)3times rep from * to last 2 sts, KB1, K1.
There is a note on the front of the pattern which says 'where wool forward occurs twice in succession, on the following purl row, purl first wool forward in the ordinary manner and then purl into the back of second wool forward'
I realize after your first reply that this line is relevant.
Can you please tell me how many double yarn overs I need to put in the line above as I think I have put too many in and have had to undo it. Many thanks for your help.
I only have a hard copy of the pattern.

suzeeq 11-19-2012 05:19 PM

This section (KB1, wf)twice, will give you a yo the second time because (wf.,sl1, K1, psso, wf) twice follows it, which will also make a yo2. hen at the end (wf., sl1, K2tog., psso, wf) 3 times, will make 2 yo2. It depends how many times you repeat between the *s to the last 2 sts as to how many yo2 you'll end up with.