KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Red-Tail Hawk Cowl (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111072)

ArtLady1981 11-21-2012 11:57 PM

FO: Red-Tail Hawk Cowl

Red-Tail Hawk is the color of this Twizzle yarn by Mountain Colors. It's left over from a cardigan I knit last Spring. (Perry Cardigan)

My cowl isn't blocked yet and it definitely needs it...to widen, lengthen and pop the pattern stitch! At the moment, it measures 7" x 45"...and it's supposed to grow to 8" x 60", which will be a much better fit around the neck. I won't have the space to block it until Tuesday.

The "Garland Cowl" is a free pattern over at Ravelry. It is written out, line by line,
and the cowl is knit in 49 rounds x 126 stitches each. Very easy to follow. Worsted weight yarn and big needles (US 10.5).

The designer recommended a particular cast-on (very stretchy)...which I tried and failed at. Instead of it, I was able to use a stretchy cast-on of my own.

She also recommended a particular stretchy bind off, Elizabeth Zimmerman's Sewn Bind Off...
which is demonstrated on You Tube. It was very easy indeed, and worked like a charm.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

salmonmac 11-22-2012 07:02 AM

Mmm, beautiful mix of colors. I love the combinations that Mountain Colors produces. What a great cowl and yes, even better with blocking. Thanks very much for the EZ bind off video.

nonny2t 11-23-2012 10:09 AM

Oooh, that is really cool looking. I love it!

GrumpyGramma 11-23-2012 02:56 PM

That looks lovely, warm and cozy. Pretty colors.

Christinechrstms1 11-24-2012 04:35 AM

The cowl turned out very nice! Thank you for posting the video as well.

Jan in CA 11-24-2012 04:59 PM

So pretty! That should be great for the chilly weather you get up there!

I haven't tried Jeny's cast on, just the bind off.

ArtLady1981 11-25-2012 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1361279)
So pretty! That should be great for the chilly weather you get up there!

I haven't tried Jeny's cast on, just the bind off.

Jeny's cast on was waaaaay too futzy for me....and over 126 st cast on???? No way, no how! I knew how to work a perfectly loose, stretchy LT cast on, so why cause myself unnecessary aggravation??? For a COWL???? No way.

GrumpyGramma 11-25-2012 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1361312)
Jeny's cast on was waaaaay too futzy for me....and over 126 st cast on???? No way, no how! I knew how to work a perfectly loose, stretchy LT cast on, so why cause myself unnecessary aggravation??? For a COWL???? No way.

I tried that cast on once and futzy is a nice word for it.

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

I've not been convinced I need it badly enough to try again. Knowing you chose not to use it makes me feel better.

ArtLady1981 11-25-2012 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1361314)
I tried that cast on once and futzy is a nice word for it.

:zombie: :zombie: :zombie:

I've not been convinced I need it badly enough to try again. Knowing you chose not to use it makes me feel better.

:teehee: I'd rather cast on 500 stitches using longtail, or even 'knitted on', than 126 Jeny stitches.

GrumpyGramma 11-25-2012 02:42 AM

The cable cast on seems plenty stretchy to me and not nearly as futzy. I'm not good at guesstimating the length of yarn needed for long-tail cast on and I hate ending up just a little short or waaaaaaaaaaay too long. Sometimes I think just because something is more complicated people think it's better.