KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Turns (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111135)

mth226 11-29-2012 09:27 PM

Turns

I am seeing a lot of post on "turns" but I not sure if it answering my question. I am fairly new at knitting. I can do the basics "knit" "purl". I am wanting to start a Noodle Scarf I found on Pinterest. Not sure if the instructions are correct or not. Either I am doing it wrong or the pattern is not correct. Can someone please help me?

Pattern:
Size 10 needles
Cast on 20
Knit 20, turn
Knit 8, turn
Knit 8, turn
Knit 6, turn
Knit 6, turn
Knit 4, turn
Knit 4, turn
Knit 20 across
Repeat until desired length
Bind off

Thank you

salmonmac 11-29-2012 09:41 PM

Turn means to work back in the other direction. To do that you turn your work as though you were at the end of a row. If you cast on 20 and knit 20, you are at the end of the row so the turn is no big deal. The next directions are to knit 8 and then turn. You'll leave some sts on the left needle unworked but don't worry about them for the moment, just knit back on the same 8sts. Keep following the stitch numbers and turn (take the left needle in your right hand and right needle in your left) and work the given number of stitches.

Antares 11-29-2012 09:46 PM

A question (for future reference): When you turn and work back on a short row (i.e., one that has less than the 20 stitches in this pattern), do you use the same two needles to work the stitches, or would you need a third needle?

Thanks!

mth226 11-29-2012 09:51 PM

Thanks, I will try again. I did as you suggested and didn't think it looks right. I only went through the first series so I will try to do more and see how it turns out. It does not mention anything about a 3rd needle.

MerigoldinWA 11-29-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

A question (for future reference): When you turn and work back on a short row (i.e., one that has less than the 20 stitches in this pattern), do you use the same two needles to work the stitches, or would you need a third needle?
You just keep using the same two needles.

salmonmac 11-29-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1361680)

Thanks!

I would do these turns on two needles. Eventually with this pattern and with all other short rows that I've seen, you'll work those sts that are hanging out on the needle, so it's easiest to have them ready to go.

GrumpyGramma 11-29-2012 10:03 PM

Short rows, I'm not sure if they are a blessing or a curse but I do a lot of them. If you are unsure about what you're doing or just want the added confidence, definitely if you've worked a lot of your pattern before the short rows, use a lifeline before you start the short rows. If you have need to frog the short rows the lifeline will be your absolutely best friend at that moment. Ask me how I know.

mth226 11-29-2012 10:07 PM

I knitted a baby blanket this summer and I ripped it out about 10 times before I heard about a safety line. I would never have been able to finish the blanket if it weren't for the safety line.