KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Help w/ a Christmas stocking pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111179)

rebotco 12-03-2012 09:43 PM

Help w/ a Christmas stocking pattern

I have never knit a Christmas stocking or a sock before and have gotten to the end of the turning the heel section and am very confused.
The instructions read "Row 3: Sl 1 as if to purl, p to 1 st before gap made by sl st on last row, p2tog, p1, turn.
Row 4: Sl 1 as if to purl, k to 1 st before gap made by sl st on last row, ssk, k1, turn.
Rep Rows 3 and 4 until all sts have been worked, end with RS row - there are now 12 sts for the heel. Note: On the
last 2 rows there will be no heel stitch to work after the p2tog or ssk.
Next Rnd (RS): K across heel sts; with same needle, pick up and 9 sts across side of heel flap; with needles 2 and 3, k
across 24 top of foot (instep) sts; with needle 4, pick up and 9 sts across other side of heel flap and with same needle k
across 6 of the heel sts - 54 sts at the end of this rnd."

I repeated rows 3 and 4 and ended up with the proper number of stitches (12) after completing a row 4. Now it says to knit across these heel stitches but my next row needs to be purled. What have I done wrong? The pattern even says that you should end with RS row, wouldn't that be a row 4, knitting row? Then says the next rnd is (RS) knit. Should't it be purl??

I'm sorry this post is so long! I really appreciate any help! Thanks so much!!!

suzeeq 12-03-2012 09:50 PM

Was this worked in the round before the heel instructions? You go back to that here. Notice it says 'Next Rnd:' not Row.

rebotco 12-03-2012 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1362112)
Was this worked in the round before the heel instructions? You go back to that here. Notice it says 'Next Rnd:' not Row.

thanks for responding suzeeq! Yes, I was working in the round (knitting each round) before knitting the heel but after knitting the rows for the heels back and forth on two needles I have ended up with my working yarn on the wrong end. If I begin working in the round now I would need to purl instead of knit in order to continue in stockinette stitch. I don't know if I should have ended on row 3 instead of a row 4 or what I did incorrectly

suzeeq 12-03-2012 10:17 PM

Yes, it said to end on the RS row, which would have been row 3. So you'll have to take out Row 4 then begin working in the round again.

rebotco 12-03-2012 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1362117)
Yes, it said to end on the RS row, which would have been row 3. So you'll have to take out Row 4 then begin working in the round again.

If I take out Row 4 then I will have 13 stitches instead of 12. I need that row to get to the proper number of stitches. Maybe I did something wrong further back and just need to start over.

I didn't know that row 3 was a RS side row so that is very helpful. Thanks!

suzeeq 12-03-2012 10:28 PM

Oh wait, stop. I was wrong, I didn't read that carefully. Row 3 is a purl WS row, 4 is the knit RS row. So you should be good, ending with row 4.

rebotco 12-03-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1362121)
Oh wait, stop. I was wrong, I didn't read that carefully. Row 3 is a purl WS row, 4 is the knit RS row. So you should be good, ending with row 4.

Okay thanks.

" end with RS row" means to knit a RS row and then end, right?

suzeeq 12-03-2012 11:09 PM

Yes, 'end with...' means you've just finished that row and you're going to another set of instructions.