KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: UK Chicken (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111321)

mojo11 12-14-2012 02:13 PM

FO: UK Chicken

Since Salmonmac said she had to see a knitted chicken, here's the first of three in my coop. Be careful what you wish for.

This is the UK Chicken, so named because that's where it wound up going. A high school friend of Wendy's (my girlfriend) lives in London and they occasionally exchange stuff they've made. Kate (the expatriate friend) does quilts (among other things) and had sent a small cat-sized cotton quilt, so it was our turn. The only specification was that the main fiber had to be cotton. So Wendy made a hat/scarf set and I embarked on ... this.

The yarn was Cotton Ease, which may or may not be 100% cotton, but it was in the stash and it wasn't going to be a huge loss if I completely screwed up the whole thing.

Needles were US 6 Clover bamboo circulars (I think in 32" and 16") plus either US 4 or 6 for the I-cord bits (I can't remember now which I used).

The pattern you may recognize. It's an adaptation of the classic Blue Sky Alpacas Knit Chickens by Susan B. Anderson.

There are parts of the pattern (as it's written) that I didn't really understand. (Read: a few parts that I just didn't like.) Specifically I re-engineered the crown/comb as one piece because... well, mainly because I don't like sewing so awfully much. (Originally I did it the way it was written, but I didn't like the results I got, so that went over the side.) It's a bit bigger than I'd have liked, but I was guesstimating what I needed based on the size of the head.

Apparently this is a hugely popular pattern. (Probably because you don't find all that many patterns for knitted chickens.) But I've seen dozens of variations on it (besides my own). Unfortunately, it's not a free pattern, or even an especially cheap one ($9). But it's so ubiquitous that you can probably find someone who has it that you can borrow from.

I used it as a learning aid, because it used a lot of techniques I didn't know yet and if I screwed it up... chickens don't care! That said I wouldn't recommend diving into it unless you have some proficiency in basic shaping techniques and at least a little bit of experience in circular knitting. It's a good way to expand your skill set, but definitely not a "learn-the-basics" pattern.

For instance, this is all the stuff I learned that I either didn't know or didn't know very well before my first chicken:
  • Picking up stitches (I'd sewn bits together before, but this is different)
  • Small-diameter circular work (Magic Loop in my case, but the pattern specifies DPNs. Use what works for you; it comes out the same either way.)
  • Making stripes in the round (actually, I'm not sure I'd done color changes of any kind before this, but I'm not sure)
    Also, in the process of making this thing I found a way to get rid of the "step" you get when doing stripes in the round. Unfortunately, I can't remember now where I found it or how to do it, so if anybody has a how-to on that one I'd appreciate it!
  • Kitchener stitch (including how to tighten up Kitchener stitch that ended up looking like the laces in a football)

Up to that point my experience had been ... a scarf, a hat, the back of a sweater (which still isn't finished) and a selection of ...ahem... "novelty items" that I won't discuss here. (Long story) In other words, not a lot but enough to get some basic stuff figured out.

More views:

GrumpyGramma 12-14-2012 02:21 PM

That chicken certainly has character. :cool:

Jan in CA 12-14-2012 02:50 PM

Very cute! You did a great job!

MerigoldinWA 12-14-2012 03:48 PM

Lovely little chicken. :) Not a breed I recognize, but then I am not a chicken expert. :lol: I love the comb, very perky.

nonny2t 12-14-2012 08:15 PM

What a cute chicken!

salmonmac 12-15-2012 10:29 PM

Ok, wow! Both chickens are fabulous and it's hard to choose between them. They're all that I dreamed they would be. Thanks so much for the photos.

offgridgirl 12-15-2012 11:46 PM

Really fun funky chicken....LOVE IT!!!:cheering:

ArtLady1981 12-17-2012 05:41 PM

Ahhh, he's the duckiest chicken I've ever seen! Great work!