KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Knitting addiction (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111386)

purpleldy1 12-20-2012 12:06 AM

Knitting addiction

It sounds like from reading the knitting blogs, knitting addiction is common, however I am not looking for treatment or an intervention. I am actually looking for enablers. I found Knitting relaxes me. The more stressed I get the more project I start. I started with one scarf and finished 5 in a month. I currently have another 6 in various stages of progression. Are you and addict too?

Jan in CA 12-20-2012 12:35 AM

Yep! :thumbsup:

salmonmac 12-20-2012 01:19 AM

Oh, you are among loads of friends. Maybe it is the relaxing effect but it certainly is enjoyable.

mojo11 12-20-2012 11:02 AM

Addict? Me?? :noway: No, no, I could quit if I wanted to. IF... I wanted to.

By the way, for those not on their mailing list, WEBS has their year end clearance going on RIGHT NOW!!! Do I REALLY need Christmas presents for the kids? :wall:

GrumpyGramma 12-20-2012 11:04 AM

I can put my knitting down and walk away any time I want to go get more yarn to start a new project.

ArtLady1981 12-20-2012 01:50 PM

I took classes from a Swedish designer back in 2004...a Knitter's Cruise, Inside Passage, Alaska.
In the class, she did some lecturing, and included this interesting point:

It's been found that knitting actually helps sort out and reorganize the disarray inside our brains! The actual act of knitting is like a Magic Maid who comes into your messy kitchen while you sleep, and puts everything strewn all over the counters neatly back where they belong. When you awaken...VOILA!...everything back in its place. Neat. Organized. Peace restored.

If you are a computer person, here is a good comparison: knitting is to our brain as a "disk defrag" is to our computer. Reorganization!

Honestly, while we knit...our Magic Maid is cleaning up the messy kitchens in our mind!

So when we say that knitting is therapeutic...we really are saying something!

Is knitting addictive? Well, we all like to feel good...and if knitting restores orderliness to our minds and brains...we feel good, don't we? Who wouldn't be addicted to feeling good?

Antares 12-20-2012 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1363641)
I took classes from a Swedish designer back in 2004...a Knitter's Cruise, Inside Passage, Alaska.
In the class, she did some lecturing, and included this interesting point:

It's been found that knitting actually helps sort out and reorganize the disarray inside our brains! The actual act of knitting is like a Magic Maid who comes into your messy kitchen while you sleep, and puts everything strewn all over the counters neatly back where they belong. When you awaken...VOILA!...everything back in its place. Neat. Organized. Peace restored.

If you are a computer person, here is a good comparison: knitting is to our brain as a "disk defrag" is to our computer. Reorganization!

Honestly, while we knit...our Magic Maid is cleaning up the messy kitchens in our mind!

So when we say that knitting is therapeutic...we really are saying something!

Is knitting addictive? Well, we all like to feel good...and if knitting restores orderliness to our minds and brains...we feel good, don't we? Who wouldn't be addicted to feeling good?

Yes, but while my brain is being "cleaned up" as I knit, my kitchen (and my house and my yard) are all falling into disarray because I'm too busy to knit to clean house or do yard work.

Can I get an AMEN?

GrumpyGramma 12-20-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1363647)
Yes, but while my brain is being "cleaned up" as I knit, my kitchen (and my house and my yard) are all falling into disarray because I'm too busy to knit to clean house or do yard work.

Can I get an AMEN?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLI3SaKkMkM

"she just won't stop the stitchin'
and the neighbors say it really is quite sad"

mojo11 12-20-2012 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArtLady1981 (Post 1363641)

Never mind my kitchen, it would be a lot more helpful if Magic Maid could fix the jags in my stripes when I'm knitting in Magic Loop.

ArtLady1981 12-20-2012 03:24 PM

AMEN!