KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Problem with Neck shaping instructions! please help! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111493)

faye1326 12-29-2012 08:53 PM

Problem with Neck shaping instructions! please help!

Im working on a pattern from 'Lace Style', called the featherlight lingerie dress by Mari lynn Patrick. Ive worked on patterns before but for some reason i'm not sure what the patterns calls for me to do.

here it is:

Shape front neck and armholes: Mark Center (33) sts for front neck. Next row: RS BO 17 sys, knit to marked center sts, join a second ball of yarn and BO 33 sts for front neck, knit to end.....

Where it says to "Mark" 33 sts, do i put those sts on a st. holder or do i knit the 33 sts? Im not sure what its telling me. i can only think to maybe put stich markers maybe? Im not sure what to do and it has me stumped! lol! and if i were to knit the 33 sts would i turn my work to bind off....sorry guys, im just confused :( I am working the neck and armhole shaping at the same time.

GrumpyGramma 12-29-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Shape front neck and armholes: Mark Center (33) sts for front neck. Next row: RS BO 17 sys, knit to marked center sts, join a second ball of yarn and BO 33 sts for front neck, knit to end.....
Stitch markers sounds right to me. I'd use one on each end of the 33 sts to know where my bind off begins and ends.

On the RS you'll bind off 17 sts, knit to the marker and bind off the 33 sts with a new ball of yarn, then with the new yarn you just attached knit the remaining sts.

salmonmac 12-29-2012 09:41 PM

Welcome to Knitng Help!
The pattern writer just wants to make it easier for you to recognize the 33 center stitches. You can mark them with stitch markers as GG says or just thread a scrap of yarn between stitches to mark the center 33. No need for a stitch holder because you're going to bind these sts off on the current knit row.

faye1326 12-30-2012 02:30 AM

So after I mark those 33 sts, would I knit those and then BO off the 17 sts. I guess what I need to know is how to start off this row of knitting. Sorry guys, my brain is in overload:(

salmonmac 12-30-2012 06:34 AM

It's the time of year. Easy to be in overload.
First the pattern just wants you to mark the 33 center sts. Then, at the beginning of the next row, a RS row (that is, with the public side of the knitting facing you), bind off 17sts, knit to the first marker for the center 33sts, drop the strand of yarn you've been working with and pick up a new strand of yarn. Bind off the center 33sts and knit to the end of the row. Now you'll have 2 sections of knitting each with its own ball of yarn and with a 33st bind off separating the two.

faye1326 12-31-2012 01:21 PM

Thanks you guys for all your help! I don't know what I would have done without such talented knitters here. I would have been sitting here frustrated if I didn't get your advice :yay: