KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Beginner thinks pattern is incomplete (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111499)

enthusiasticbeginner 12-30-2012 12:35 PM

Beginner thinks pattern is incomplete

Hello :aww:

I am a complete beginner but am trying to complete a cardigan for my baby which is due in March. A friend of mine has given me a knitting pattern and lots of help, but is too busy this week to come over and help me decipher the pattern. I have lots of time off for New Year, so wondered if you lovely people could help in any way.

I am using an old Patons pattern PBN D 2320, if that means anything.

I'm doing a 0-6 month cardi, and have completed the back. Now I'm trying to knit the girls right front with buttonholes. The abbreviated pattern is as follows:

Cast on 30.
Noting first row is WS work garter stitch for 3 rows.
Buttonhole row - (RS), K3, yfwd, sL1K, K1, psso, K to end.
Work garter for 3 rows.
Work border and patt thus:
Row 1 - (RS), K
Row 2 - P to last 7 sts, K7
Rows 3 and 4 - As rows 1 and 2
Rows 5 and 6 - K
These 6 rows set border and patt
Cont in patt as set for a further 4 rows, thus ending with RS facing for next row.

This is as far as I've got. It makes sense and my friend showed me how to do the buttonhole bit. The next bit gets confusing.

*** Buttonhole row - K3, yfwd, sL1K, K1, psso, K to end.
Work border and patt as set for 13 rows ***
Rep from *** to *** once more, then work buttonhole row again.

The next row is on the RS, so I can put the buttonhole in the right place. However, if I then "work the border and patt as set for 13 rows" then I'm not starting the pattern correctly as I'll be on the WS. I'll be a row out. I was wondering if you think I should just add the extra row and then start the 13 rows?

The next part of the pattern is equally confusing:

Work border and patt as set for 7 rows, thus ending with row 4 of patt and RS facing for next row.

If I do 7 rows, and there are 6 rows in the pattern above, then how on earth can I end on row 4 of the pattern?

I have worked out the pattern to coincide with the pattern I've created on the back of the cardi, up to 87 rows, but then in the making up part there are lots of instructions about knitting the neck and extra rows to do that. I'm definitely going to get help with that bit lol, but I just wanted to know if you thought all my extra rows and playing about with the pattern would mess the whole thing up?

I'm really hesitant to go off on my own on only my second project (my first were booties step by step from YouTube)

Any help or thoughts much appreciated! It's all a foreign language!

xxx

salmonmac 12-30-2012 12:55 PM

You can certainly add in an extra row so that you place the buttonhole on a RS row. (Actually, with 13 rows between buttonholes, you should be back to a RS row anyway.) Just remember to keep to the 6 row pattern repeat.
It depends on the next pattern directions. It may not be critical which row of the pattern you're on. It may be more important to be be ready to work with the RS facing you (so that the next row is an odd number row).

enthusiasticbeginner 12-30-2012 01:26 PM

Thanks salmonmac. If it was just adding one row I wouldn't mind so much, it's just with the next confusing part about working 7 rows and ending on row 4, I just thought I must have gone completely wrong! Do patterns often need altering? This is the first one I've followed.

salmonmac 12-30-2012 01:35 PM

Some patterns are very specific about the number of rows to knit or the pattern row to end on but most patterns specify a number of inches to knit. Since we all knit with different tension and row gauge, it may take more or fewer rows to get to a given measurement. Sometimes you do just need to put in an extra row or so to make things work for you. See what the next directions are and if it's going to be critical that you be on a row 4 of the pattern.
I couldn't find a picture of this pattern.

enthusiasticbeginner 12-30-2012 02:19 PM

I think that by writing it all out I've cracked it! I think that I was trying to go back to working the border and patt as set by going back to row 1 of the pattern. Obviously that would mean that my ribbing would be out in the final piece.

I hope I can convey what I think is going on. I've continued to count the rows by the side of the 6 rows that make up the border and pattern so that it remains continuous. I've used dots to separate out the rows a bit and I've put the buttonhole rows into the pattern in bold. I think this is where I was thinking of it wrongly before, i wasn't continuing the pattern, I was starting again from row 1. In this way, the confusing part about "work border and patt as set for 7 rows ending on row 4 of patt" makes sense.

Row 1 - cast on 30
Row 2-4 garter
Row 5 - buttonhole
Row 6-8 garter
Border and Pattern:
Row 09 - K............15...21...27...33...39...45...51
Row 10 - P, K7.......16...22...28...34...40...46...52
Row 11 - K............17...23...29...35...41...47...53
Row 12 - P, K7.......18...24...30...36...42...48...54
Row 13 - K (rib).....19...25...31...37...43...49
Row 14 - K (rib)......20...26...32...38...44...50

Any opinions appreciated. It seems that the spacing between the button holes increases slightly, but I don't have to modify the pattern at all now :)

enthusiasticbeginner 12-30-2012 02:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the picture. It's a really old pattern I think. I found it for sale on eBay under vintage :)

salmonmac 12-30-2012 02:34 PM

As long as you're keeping to the 6 row pattern and placing the buttonholes with 13 rows between them (or close to that) you should be fine. The wonderful thing about knitting for babies is that they look adorable in everything and they never complain about the knitting. Post a picture of the finished sweater if you'd like. It would be fun to see it. (Thanks for the pattern photo.)
Congratulations on the expected baby!

enthusiasticbeginner 12-30-2012 02:49 PM

Thanks salmonmac, I'll definitely post a picture when it's finished. I had no idea how hard it was to knit, this may be the only thing I have time to do by March!