KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Novice in need of help please! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111716)

MrsBknits 01-11-2013 03:54 PM

Novice in need of help please!
 
First of all, I'm new to this site, and to be honest relatively new to knitting, so hello!

I was gifted a lovely knit the nativity book for christmas by my mother-in-law, so I thought I'd make an early start for next year (there's a lot of parts to it, so it may take me some time!) but I've already encountered a problem..

here goes..

if I have 29 stitches and then work the following row, how many stitches should this leave me with?

(yrn, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, y.fwd, k1) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3 ?

the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total, which suggests the row before gives 28 stitches, but I'm not sure how?? I must be going wrong somewhere as I seem to be gaining stitches:?? Should y.fwd give me a stitch? I thought it just meant bring yarn to front of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

mojo11 01-11-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBknits (Post 1366210)
First of all, I'm new to this site, and to be honest relatively new to knitting, so hello!

I was gifted a lovely knit the nativity book for christmas by my mother-in-law, so I thought I'd make an early start for next year (there's a lot of parts to it, so it may take me some time!) but I've already encountered a problem..

here goes..

if I have 29 stitches and then work the following row, how many stitches should this leave me with?

(yrn, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, y.fwd, k1) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3 ?

the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total, which suggests the row before gives 28 stitches, but I'm not sure how?? I must be going wrong somewhere as I seem to be gaining stitches:?? Should y.fwd give me a stitch? I thought it just meant bring yarn to front of work?

Thanks in advance for any help!

I must be counting it wrong 'cause I can only make 20 stitches out of the row you listed. the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway :mrgreen:) but I think the yrn will... like a YO would. But you also have a double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso) in the same repeat and another one at the end of the line. So...

I'll be interested in seeing the answer to this one too.

MrsBknits 01-11-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo11 (Post 1366212)
I must be counting it wrong 'cause I can only make 20 stitches out of the row you listed. the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway :mrgreen:) but I think the yrn will... like a YO would. But you also have a double decrease (sl1, k2tog, psso) in the same repeat and another one at the end of the line. So...

I'll be interested in seeing the answer to this one too.

Glad I'm not the only one confused by this!

suzeeq 01-11-2013 04:52 PM

Yep, I end up with 28 too. Is there a k1 before the first repeat? Or there should be another yo at the end of the row.

mojo11 01-11-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1366219)
Yep, I end up with 28 too. Is there a k1 before the first repeat? Or there should be another yo at the end of the row.

So I AM counting it (WAY) wrong... but I'm still not seeing where.

yrn +1 (1)
k3 +3 (4)
sl1, k2tog, psso -2 (2)
k3 +3 (5)
y.fwd +0 (5)
k1 +1 (6)

doing all that twice yields (12)

then
y.fwd +0 (12)
k3 +3 (15)
sl1, k2tog, psso -2 (13)
k3 (16)

Even if you added one for the y.fwd's that still only comes out to 19. So what am I missing? :wall:

GrumpyGramma 01-11-2013 05:13 PM

I also counted 28.

" the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway )" I believe the yfwd is an inc (more or less a yo), and wyif just means bring it to the front w/o an inc.

"the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total"
With 28 sts from the previous row the yrn before purling the rest of the sts will bring the count 29.

That's how I figure it works.

mojo11 01-11-2013 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1366224)
I also counted 28.

" the y.fwd shouldn't give you another stitch (not on purpose anyway )" I believe the yfwd is an inc (more or less a yo), and wyif just means bring it to the front w/o an inc.

"the next row is yrn then purl to end, resulting in 29 stitches total"
With 28 sts from the previous row the yrn before purling the rest of the sts will bring the count 29.

That's how I figure it works.

I figured the yrn on the next row would add one to whatever the listed row was too, but then I started adding up THAT and I can't make it be 28. Then again, I figured yfwd was just bringing the yarn forward between the needles, so what do I know? :??

GrumpyGramma 01-11-2013 05:32 PM

I counted it to 28 but getting it down in writing is proving very difficult. I'll try again.



(yrn, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3,<3> y.fwd<1>, k1<1>) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3

The bolded numbers come to 10, do it twice for 20



y.fwd, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3<3>
This gives you 8 more,
20 + 8 = 28

Math and I do not get along very well. :gah:

suzeeq 01-11-2013 05:32 PM

A yo or yrn or yf doesn't use a stitch, it's just a wrap around the needle, then you go on to the k3 or single k1. So your stitches would be -

"yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1, yo, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3, yo, k1, yo k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3"

The yo isn't counted as a stitch, but adds one which is offset by the decs. There's the problem - there's 3 double decs (-6 sts) and 5 YOs. So either there should be another yo, or the very last dec is either a sl1, k1, psso or k2tog, but not a double dec.

mojo11 01-11-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1366230)
I counted it to 28 but getting it down in writing is proving very difficult. I'll try again.



(yrn, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3,<3> y.fwd<1>, k1<1>) twice, then y.fwd, k3, sl1, k2tog, psso, k3

The bolded numbers come to 10, do it twice for 20



y.fwd, <1> k3,<3> sl1, k2tog, psso,<1> k3<3>
This gives you 8 more,
20 + 8 = 28

Math and I do not get along very well. :gah:

Well you're doing better than I am. I was getting derailed by the double decrease and counting it as -2 not +1. Which... is SORTA right, but sends the stitch that IS still left on the needle into an alternate dimension. :hair:

All of this begs the requisition if yrn=YO and yfwd=yo then why use 2 different <expletive> instructions to say the same thing?? :grrr:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:05 PM.


copyright knittinghelp.com