KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   What are Your Favorite Knitting Books!!!! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111755)

knitcindy 01-14-2013 11:12 AM

What are Your Favorite Knitting Books!!!!

I will be starting up a Knitting Club at our local library next month for 2 nights a month. Just something for us knitters to get together & socialize with each other. I'd like to have some knitting books (from the library) available for everyone to look at. The head librarian thinks this will also bring more "business" into the library!

Soooo, what are some of your favorite knitting books? Which ones would you recommend? It doesn't matter if they're beginner or not, just something to spark interest!!!!

Thanks so much for your help!
knitcindy

psquidy 01-14-2013 02:24 PM

Knitting America, and Hand knitting in Estonia!

GrumpyGramma 01-14-2013 02:30 PM

I don't have favorites but I think anything with great pictures to get people interested in knitting something different or a step up from what they've been doing would be good. Maybe see what the library has and just take one or two each week. I've looked at some books that have all kinds of stitch patterns that I want to try. I'm getting my nerve up to try set-in sleeves in a top down, no seams sweater. Working with a knitting buddy IRL on something like that would be great. Maybe there will be something you'd all like to work on, socks or something.

Antares 01-14-2013 05:20 PM

Anything by Stephanie Pearl McPhee is great for tips and laughs, and the books by Maggie Righetti are good how-tos.

It might be fun to pick one theme for each night and then find books that match the theme. You could do fair isle one night and top-down knitting the next time.

I would think that any newly released books your library purchases (ones people may have read about online but haven't had a chance to flip through yet) would be ideal, as would the latest issue of knitting magazines (if available).

Jan in CA 01-14-2013 05:51 PM

Stephanie Pearl-McPhee books for sure especially Knitting Rules! That one has lots of info and is hilarious as well. The knitters bible, Mason Dixon Knitting books are great, too.

I read a lot of knitting mysteries...to name a few...

Anne Canadeo
Maggie Sefton
Mary Kruger
Sally Goldenbaum

GrumpyGramma 01-14-2013 05:55 PM

Quote:

Well? I'm waiting.....

Jan in CA 01-14-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1366622)
Well? I'm waiting.....

I put a few of the authors! You want me to read them to you, too? :lol:

GrumpyGramma 01-14-2013 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1366628)
I put a few of the authors! You want me to read them to you, too? :lol:

Well, now that you offer. Oops! I'm sorry, I missed the list. I should just give up and go to bed, maybe if I got some sleep.........

Rie 01-14-2013 10:20 PM

Hi knitcindy! What a cool idea! Here are some books I like:

When Bad Things Happen to Good Knitters by Marion Edmonds and Ahza Moore is so nice to have nearby.
Knitting for Dummies by Pam Allen is actually really helpful. I re-learned to knit with this book and I think the patterns are good too.
The Knitter's Handbook by Montse Stanley is great and a must have!
The Perfect Finish edited by Kara Gott Warner is excellent.
I also have an old copy of Fair Isle Knitting by Sarah Don, but some people might feel its outdated.
The Celtic Collection by Alice Starmore has lots of patterns.
I just saw Charts for Color Knitting by Starmore at a bookstore and it looks great!

Rie 01-14-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1366618)

Anne Canadeo
Maggie Sefton
Mary Kruger
Sally Goldenbaum

Whoa! I had no idea this genre existed...I love police procedurals and I feel like I've read everyone. Thanks for this! :woohoo: