KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Knitting on dpns problem (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111778)

knockoffmysocka 01-16-2013 12:56 AM

Knitting on dpns problem

So I was knitting socks and I wanted to go from ribbing to stockinette and it looked like a garter stitch instead of stockinette. What did I do wrong?

GrumpyGramma 01-16-2013 01:00 AM

Hi and welcome to Knitting Help. When knitting flat, you alternate rows of knits and purls to get stockinette stitch. When knitting in the round, it's all knits, all the time. My guess is you tried to do stockinette with alternating knit and purl rounds as for knitting flat and you need to knit every round.

Jan in CA 01-16-2013 01:40 AM

If its not what GG said I suspect you're knitting the sock inside out and what you see are purls. Are you knitting inside the tube of knitting? Even though its not really wrong to knit that way it's more correct to knit outside the tube by knitting with the needles close to your body and the tube away. Patterns are written for this method.

mojo11 01-16-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1366837)
If its not what GG said I suspect you're knitting the sock inside out and what you see are purls. Are you knitting inside the tube of knitting? Even though its not really wrong to knit that way it's more correct to knit outside the tube by knitting with the needles close to your body and the tube away. Patterns are written for this method.

I've done this in Magic Loop when I got confused and started going backwards around the loop. I wasn't actually knitting inside the tube, I'd turned the tube inside out. Sort of. I think it happened when I put the thing down for a while and the yarn got itself between the needles somehow when I picked it back up.

Confirming for me once again that the term "frog" resulted from a cleaned-up version of what you actually want to say as you're ripping out hard-won progress.

fatoldladyinpjs 01-16-2013 10:34 AM

Sometimes the knitting gremlins turn your work inside out when you set it down. Just pop it back inside where it belongs, tell it to behave, and keep going.

mojo11 01-16-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatoldladyinpjs (Post 1366881)
Sometimes the knitting gremlins turn your work inside out when you set it down. Just pop it back inside where it belongs, tell it to behave, and keep going.

In the case I'm talking about I couldn't really do that. I'd done it right for several inches before I put it down, then the gremlins showed up while I was... eating or whatever I was doing and I knitted several rounds backwards before I realized what had happened. Didn't know to frog down to the last botched row and then tink out the last one either, so not only did I wind up pulling out several rounds, then I was stuck with putting the stitches back on without losing any. Fortunately I was working in Encore, which is pretty sticky so I didn't drop anything. That I recall anyway. But it still wasn't fun.

knockoffmysocka 01-16-2013 03:28 PM

I did have to frog it TWICE!

But I figured it out. I was knitting upside down, backwards, whatever....

Now I'm on the heel...that's another story in itself...

mojo11 01-16-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knockoffmysocka (Post 1366959)
I did have to frog it TWICE!

But I figured it out. I was knitting upside down, backwards, whatever....

Now I'm on the heel...that's another story in itself...

:cheering: Yay! But heels... I fear heels.:hiding:

knockoffmysocka 01-16-2013 09:41 PM

Any tips for picking up stitches on the gusset?

salmonmac 01-16-2013 10:13 PM

Take a look at the video for turning the heel which includes a demo and tips on the gusset as well.
http://www.knittinghelp.com/video/pl...heel-of-a-sock
Sometimes it helps to pick up an extra stitch at the beginning of the heel flap the then k2together in order to close up any hole at the join of the gusset and the cuff of the sock.