KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   THAT sweater (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111811)

Rosey2376 01-18-2013 01:39 PM

THAT sweater

1 Attachment(s)
Yay. I finally finished THAT sweater.

Positives:
1. I learnt to knit continental, because all that seed stitch background was too slow English
2. My first ever grown up sized sweater
3. I do love cabling, and I finally learnt to cable without a cable needle (about 4 inch from finishing it I took the plunge!)
4. I designed the sleeve cable all by myself :cool:

Negatives:
1. Never EVER do two cable patterns at the same time with different row repeats
2. Seed stitch should be illegal

GrumpyGramma 01-18-2013 01:43 PM

Great looking sweater! You done good, kiddo!

I hereby petition the Knitting Help goddesses to declare seed stitch illegal. Since I don't mind doing seed stitch I'll just continue on and be an outlaw. :roflhard: When I tried to knit English I realized why people don't like seed stitch, rib stitch, whatever. For me it's np. The important thing is you have a fabulous sweater! Congrats.

mojo11 01-18-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosey2376 (Post 1367247)
1. Never EVER do two cable patterns at the same time with different row repeats
2. Seed stitch should be illegal

I concur completely with #2.

Great job on the sweater! Especially the design on the sleeve.

Rosey2376 01-18-2013 01:49 PM

I forgot to mention. Made it for husband (model in photo). He might not ever actually wear it, but at least now he can be off the knitting 'to do' list for a while.

butlersabroad 01-18-2013 01:55 PM

That's beautiful Rosey, love the cables you designed. After all that work hubby better wear it! What's the difference between English and Continental knitting then?

mojo11 01-18-2013 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosey2376 (Post 1367252)
I forgot to mention. Made it for husband (model in photo). He might not ever actually wear it, but at least now he can be off the knitting 'to do' list for a while.

The way I look at it, it's the making it and giving it that's up to me. The wearing it is someone else's responsibility. :mrgreen: Knitting something for my girlfriend is sorta like painting a landscape for Monet. I know full well that she could do it better, that's not the point. And I'm pretty sure she won't wear it -- often at least -- which is also not the point. But she WILL understand what went into it, and that's... kinda the point.

GrumpyGramma 01-18-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlersabroad (Post 1367254)
That's beautiful Rosey, love the cables you designed. After all that work hubby better wear it! What's the difference between English and Continental knitting then?

I expect you knit English which means you'd hold the yarn in your right hand and throw it. We Continental knitters hold the yarn in the left hand (like a crocheter) and "grab" it with the needle (if I throw the yarn, it's literally out of frustration and across the room!). There are videos for both styles here. Changing the yarn from front to back to front as for k1, p1 ribbing is much easier and faster in Continental. It's all a matter of personal preference or what I can do since English style hasn't worked yet. (The easier and faster part may be purely subjective on my part but Continental knitters all seem to find ribbing easier.)

mojo11 01-18-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1367271)
I expect you knit English which means you'd hold the yarn in your right hand and throw it. We Continental knitters hold the yarn in the left hand (like a crocheter) and "grab" it with the needle (if I throw the yarn, it's literally out of frustration and across the room!). There are videos for both styles here. Changing the yarn from front to back to front as for k1, p1 ribbing is much easier and faster in Continental. It's all a matter of personal preference or what I can do since English style hasn't worked yet. (The easier and faster part may be purely subjective on my part but Continental knitters all seem to find ribbing easier.)

I've always thought Continental looked faster and easier, but that may just be envy talking. I can't really do Continental... it sorta requires fingers I don't have. But if I ever figure out a way to fake it, I'll be a willing convert!

butlersabroad 01-18-2013 02:58 PM

Yup, I do knit English, until this week I never knew there were other ways! I've learnt more in one week from reading threads on this forum than I did in two years of self teaching. I would imagine knitting continental when you're used to English must be a bit like trying to write with your left hand when you're not left handed!

Lizars1735 01-18-2013 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlersabroad (Post 1367285)
Yup, I do knit English, until this week I never knew there were other ways! I've learnt more in one week from reading threads on this forum than I did in two years of self teaching. I would imagine knitting continental when you're used to English must be a bit like trying to write with your left hand when you're not left handed!

Great sweater!! I love the sleeve cables.

I totally agree that I've learned more from this forum than in the few years I've been knitting. I just taught myself continental and with the norwegian purl, seed stitch is still a PITA, but not as much.