KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   American knitter using UK pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111828)

musiqua 01-20-2013 03:47 AM

American knitter using UK pattern

Hi everyone,

In case anyone has the pattern, I'd like some help with the Twilleys of Stamford (456) Lacy Glove pattern (pg. 30). I am new to lace knitting. I have knitted lace before, but years ago.

The instructions state "K tog first st with corresponding st of cast-in edge, *K tog next st with corresponding st of cast-on edge, rep from * to end". I don't understand how to do this K tog. I presume it doesn't mean a simple K2tog.

I am an inconsistent knitter (I'm sure you're all aghast at that thought), so thorough explanations at the level of near complete idiot are appreciated.

Don't know if this will help you for possible analogy use, but I am a very skilled sewer and crocheter.

Thanks in advance!

Jan in CA 01-20-2013 12:04 PM

It sounds like you're making a hem. When they say "K tog" they mean k2tog or knit 2 together. Does that help?

GrumpyGramma 01-20-2013 12:57 PM

Like Jan says, it sounds like a hem. I can't find anything specific to picking up a stitch from the cast on edge but if you look here and scroll down to Step 5, you might get a better idea of what you're doing. You could pickup the stitches at the cast on edge onto a second needles. Then the three needle bind-off Jan mentions would be next. There are two videos for it here, one English and one Continental. Did your pattern call for a provisional cast on?

Jan in CA 01-20-2013 01:01 PM

When I do hems I do them with a provisional cast on so it's easy to do. With a previous cast on you'll just try to pick up a cast on stitch for each each stitch of your stitches.

GrumpyGramma 01-20-2013 01:13 PM

I've watched a video where stitches from a number of rows up were picked up to k2 tog with the ones on the needle and I couldn't imagine me getting it right. The provisional cast on works so nicely.

musiqua 01-20-2013 01:27 PM

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice, but I'm not sure it's a hem, as it's a row in the middle of a lace pattern that continues for many rows after this.

I understand K tog and K2tog, but this doesn't seem to be asking for something as simple as that.

What confuses me about this pattern is where it instructs to knit with the first corresponding st of cast-on edge.

Thanks again!

Jan in CA 01-20-2013 02:13 PM

Unfortunately that one doesn't seem to be on Ravelry. Is there a yarn store you can go to so so done can actually see the pattern and the gloves?

You can post a few lines of the pattern here and a picture, but please do not post the entire pattern. Che k the link in my sig for how to post pictures and proper sizes.

GrumpyGramma 01-20-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

*K tog next st with corresponding st of cast-on edge, rep from * to end"
These instructions still look to me like you need to work it as for a folded hem, whether the result is a hem, a tube, or something else. Anyhow, I hope you get it figured out soon. I'd love to know what the gloves look like.

mojo11 01-20-2013 03:13 PM

I could be completely off here, but just from the description it sounds as if they want you to knit each stitch as a "knit one below", only with stitches in the CO row? But I don't know what function this would serve in lace work... so maybe I'm reading it wrong. I'm sure not picturing it. I can't think of any reason they'd write it this way if they just meant "k2tog"... but as I have learned, what the writer meant and what makes sense to me frequently diverge.

GrumpyGramma 01-20-2013 04:11 PM

I'm not picturing it well either. I'm wondering if it is to make a ridge of sorts.

Question to OP: How many rows back is the cast on edge?