KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First jumper - next step (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111902)

Newbie77 01-24-2013 02:40 AM

First jumper - next step

Hi all, I've recently taught myself to knit from a beginners book. It's taken me a while, but I've finally finished the parts to my first jumper. I have the back, front, and two sleeves. The pattern now says "Using mattress stitch seam, join right shoulder seam. With right side facing and beginning at left side of neck, knit up 17 sts" Unfortunately, I have no idea what most of that means. Is there two different steps in there? What exactly does join right shoulder seam mean? Is it as obvious as it sounds. Sorry for the really dumb questions, but I'd hate for my arms to be on backward!
Thanks in advance for your help :-)

Jan in CA 01-24-2013 03:18 AM

There are no dumb questions, we all had to learn. :)

Break it down to one thing at a time. If you scroll down to the bottom of this link there is a video for mattress stitch. Start with that..
http://www.knittinghelp.com/videos/knitting-tips

Don't worry about the picking up stitches yet. Sometimes things make more sense when you see them after working a different part. If not, then ask when you get there.

Welcome to Knitting Help!

salmonmac 01-24-2013 05:33 AM

Welcome to KH!
Yes, take this one step at a time. After you join the right shoulder seam, the following directions are for the neck edging or collar. Probably, you'll be picking up stitches all around the neck edge and you can see that done here. It works out beautifully.
Can you post a link to the pattern or the pattern name?

GrumpyGramma 01-24-2013 12:18 PM

All I can add is: Congratulations on getting so close to finished, you'll get the rest figured out too. You should already have a great sense of accomplishment, it will be greater with each step you complete.

Newbie77 10-03-2013 04:37 AM

Thanks all for your help and encouragement. Unfortunately, my knitting bag has sat under the coffee table since January. :-( But I've found the courage to pull it out again. Sadly, even with the help above, I'm still not sure where I'm up to. I understand that joining the seam, and picking up the stitches, are two different steps. And I think I'm ok with the mattress stitch, however I'm still unclear on what I'm actually joining. I had assumed being shoulder, it would have something to do with the sleeves. But now I'm wondering if it means joining the top of the back and front? I think that does make a bit more sense.

salmonmac 10-03-2013 04:57 AM

Joining the shoulder is usually seaming the back and the front to each other over the stitches between the neck opening and the top of the sleeves. Once you've joined at the shoulder you can pick up stitches for the neckband as your pattern directs and later you can seam the sleeves to the body. Then you're left with a long seam from the wrist, along the sleeve to the armhole and down the side of the sweater to the bottom of the body.
The first diagram here shows you one way to join the shoulder seam.
It's a good idea to pin the sweater together before you start seaming so that you can see where all the parts go and make sure they all fit well together. You're almost there and I'm sure you can do it!

Newbie77 10-06-2013 07:37 PM

Thanks so much Salmonmac. I somehow got into my head that shoulder meant arm which meant sleeve. It all made so much more sense when I actually joined the shoulder! I think I went about the seaming the hard way, and the picking up of my neckband stitches was a bit sloppy, which resulted in a tiny hole or two, but it's all finished, and while I might not wear it to a wedding, I have a new jumper that I can at least wear to keep me warm in front of the telly. Oh, and I meant to say that as the pattern has come out of a book, I was unable to post a link back in January. Thanks again :-)

GrumpyGramma 10-06-2013 10:20 PM

:cheering: :cheering: :cheering:

Could you post a photo? I'd love to see your finished project!

salmonmac 10-07-2013 04:52 AM

Terrific! Thanks for letting us know how things worked out. You now have experience with this so you'll know what to watch out for the next time.
Often I pick up more or fewer sts for the neck than the pattern recommends, sometimes to avoid holes or to enlarge the opening. You can always adjust the stitch number on the next row if you want.