KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Best Cast-on for Garter Stitch Edges (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111915)

Rie 01-24-2013 10:10 PM

Best Cast-on for Garter Stitch Edges

I'm about to start my first steeking project. It's a bracelet with garter stitch edges. Since both edges will show, I wanted to choose a cast-on with a matching bind-off. But I'm also used to the really clean look of tubular cast-ons for ribbing. Does anyone have any advice on what I should choose?
Techknitter has a post on matching bind-offs and she recommends the cable cast-on with a "stitch-over-stitch cast off". Will this look good with garter stitch?

Lizars1735 01-25-2013 12:01 PM

I've never done a cable cast on, but if it looks like the standard stitch over stitch bind off it will probably look good. That bind off makes a nice flat edge so, IMHO it would look fine with garter stitch. I'm not an expert knitter, though. I've only done 2 cast ons (knitted and long tail) and 1 cast off in my knitting carreer. You can always try it and see how it looks as you're doing the rows of garter.

Jan in CA 01-25-2013 02:44 PM

What about a provisional cast on? You can do that and bind off in whatever method you want. Then put needles back in the provisional cast on and bind off in the same method.

GrumpyGramma 01-25-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1368245)
What about a provisional cast on? You can do that and bind off in whatever method you want. Then put needles back in the provisional cast on and bind off in the same method.

Yeah, I recall reading: That way they (both edges) have to match!

Jan in CA 01-25-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1368252)
Yeah, I recall reading: That way they (both edges) have to match!

I've done that on scarves.

Rie 01-25-2013 10:01 PM

Thanks guys! :heart:
I think I will do just the regular long tail cast on and knitted bind-off for the first one, especially as I anticipate mangling it when I go to secure the steek, but the provisional cast-on idea has gotten me thinking again about cast-on I had originally planned to use: channel island (great Eunny Jang clip).
I think the little beads would be a really sweet little detail since it is a bit more like a piece of jewelry than a sweater. But to address the issue of making both sides match, I was thinking that when I get to the point where I'm a row or two from the end garter stitch edge I could start a second piece with the channel island co and then kitchener stitch it to the bracelet. :figureditout:
Does that make sense?
It makes sense to me but sometimes I get odd ideas which lead to lots of frogging later. :doh:
Lastly, my google searches led me to this page from Ann Budd's blog where she talks about a Channel Island Bind-Off (:inlove:) described in Vintage Modern Knits. So, I'm wondering if anyone has this book and is the bind-off really as good as she says it is? I shouldn't be buying knitting books right now, but I really want a matching bind-off. I'm already planning how to justify yet another knitting book purchase to Mr. Rie. :wink:

DavidSydney63 02-01-2013 07:31 PM

I use (for better or worse) cable cast on for most things, I find the edge it leaves is great for sweaters/vests ... but I may be doing the wrong thing. It works for me.

GrumpyGramma 02-01-2013 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 (Post 1368860)
I use (for better or worse) cable cast on for most things, I find the edge it leaves is great for sweaters/vests ... but I may be doing the wrong thing. It works for me.

Wrong? I'm sending the knitting police to visit you! Hey, if it works, it must be right. I've used the cable cast on a lot too.

Rie 02-01-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSydney63 (Post 1368860)

Any cast on would be correct on any garment in my opinion, most definitely.

However, there are lots of cast ons and bind offs out there and people are always trying to create new ones because each one has its own benefits that you may or may not want in a project.

For example, I made a pair of mittens for a friend of mine and I used Ysolda Teague's tutorial on invisible tubular cast ons to give it an edge that, for the most part, could not be differentiated from the body of the ribbing as well as being very flexible. This gave it a more "finished" look but is no more "correct" than if I had used a long tail cast on.
This has become my regular cast on for most things with ribbing as its reasonably easy for me to do and is really stretchy. But I definitely still wear all the things I made before I started using this cast on.
Likewise, for the project I'm doing now, I want a decorative edging for the bracelet as both edges will be in constant view from different sides. So I want both edges to match and be as finished looking as the tubular cast ons and bind offs are for 1x1 and 2x2 ribbing. But I certainly don't need them to be that way.
I just wish I knew someone who has done this Channel Island bind off because I will end up ordering this book if the library can't get it for me. ;)

suzeeq 02-01-2013 10:07 PM

I know youtube has videos for the Channel Island CO, so maybe there's some for the bind off too. Or look up Helen of Troy, both on Ravelry and youtube, she's got a gazillion COs and BOs on her blog and in videos.