KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   HUGE Skein of Fingering Weight Wool (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111959)

Shandeh 01-28-2013 02:40 PM

HUGE Skein of Fingering Weight Wool

A long time ago, I bought a skein of yarn on eBay. Fingering weight wool. The photo in the auction showed how large the skein was.

Pink Wool Yarn - Fingering - 5 lbs by Shandeh, on Flickr

When the box came in the mail, the return address said "Twisted Sisters". So, I guess this must have been some yarn they just didn't want to deal with.

I've had it stored in my craft room since then, and completely forgot about it until today. I decided to take it out of the box for the first time, to see how big it really was.

OMG!!!

HUGE Skein of Fingering Weight Wool by Shandeh, on Flickr

GrumpyGramma 01-28-2013 02:47 PM

Do you think there's enough to bother with? :roflhard: Wow! I think you might have enough to make something...small. :teehee:

Whatcha gonna do with it now?

Jan in CA 01-28-2013 02:57 PM

OMG! :zombie: We've got the first photos of the skein that ate Sandy!!! Notify the Enquirer! :teehee:

You could probably use it doubled or tripled and make a nice warm shawl or sweater with it!! Pretty color!

butlersabroad 01-28-2013 03:19 PM

Wow, you just throw that on your bed and not even bother to knit it into a blanket! Wonder how many pairs of socks I could get out of that!! Have fun winding it into al ball! :roflhard:

Shandeh 01-28-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1368454)
Do you think there's enough to bother with? :roflhard: Wow! I think you might have enough to make something...small. :teehee:
Whatcha gonna do with it now?

:teehee:
I have NO IDEA what to do with this yarn. I guess that's why it has been sitting in a box all these years. Part of me wants to make a nice sweater dress with it, on my knitting machine. Another part of me wants to make a lacy shawl. And I'm sure I could make enough pairs of socks to last for the rest of my life.....maybe even socks for the entire WORLD! :roflhard:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1368455)
OMG! :zombie: We've got the first photos of the skein that ate Sandy!!! Notify the Enquirer! :teehee:

:wink: This photo would be AWESOME in my local paper. :teehee:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1368455)
You could probably use it doubled or tripled and make a nice warm shawl or sweater with it!! Pretty color!

I love the color as well, Jan. And I'm really torn about what to make with it. SO MUCH YARN! But, I need to find the END first! :help:

Quote:

Originally Posted by butlersabroad (Post 1368457)
Wow, you just throw that on your bed and not even bother to knit it into a blanket! Wonder how many pairs of socks I could get out of that!! Have fun winding it into al ball! :roflhard:

I know! I got very warm with it wrapped around me like that. Hey! Maybe I could just use it as a "one of a kind" unknitted shawl. Just carry it wrapped around me, and smile. :)

Antares 01-28-2013 04:13 PM

My goodness gracious alive--or should I say, you're being eaten alive by a humongous skein of hot pink yarn!

I would think you could make just about anything you wanted out of it--several of them . . . and all the accessories . . . and as many matching socks as you could ever wear . . . and everything else under the sun, too.

Just curious (and don't feel obligated to answer if you don't want to), how much did that gigantic blob cost you?

tilllie 01-28-2013 04:23 PM

maybe a cover for a VW??

Azrel 01-28-2013 06:29 PM

:shock: Wow that's huge. You could make lots of lacy shawls and such out of that skein.

GrumpyGramma 01-28-2013 06:35 PM

You could make a floor length hooded cape, matching muff and gloves, socks and slippers, a few hats.....

Whatever you decide to make, have fun!

Shandeh 01-28-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1368462)
Just curious (and don't feel obligated to answer if you don't want to), how much did that gigantic blob cost you?

It was so long ago, I just don't remember what I paid for it. But, I'm sure the shipping was the most expensive part of the price. Ha!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilllie (Post 1368465)
maybe a cover for a VW??

:roflhard:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azrel (Post 1368482)
:shock: Wow that's huge. You could make lots of lacy shawls and such out of that skein.

Yeah! One for every person in the nation. :teehee:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1368483)
You could make a floor length hooded cape....

Good idea!