KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Sirdar 9634 pattern help please (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111973)

Kirbym 01-29-2013 03:18 PM

Sirdar 9634 pattern help please
 
Hi, having not done any knitting for over ten years I think I chose a pattern that is confusing me on the first row.
Can anyone answer this question. If it says p3(inc in next st,k1) twice, inc in next st,p3(ytb,s1,yft) 2 times how many stitches should I have on my needle?

I have written it exactly as it is written on the pattern, any help gratefully received. By the way, I am a uk member, are there many of us on the forum?

Thanks xx

RochesterKnitter 01-29-2013 03:24 PM

I believe "inc in next st" is the same as KFB (knit front and back). Therefore, you should be increasing by 1 st each time you do that maneuver.

GrumpyGramma 01-29-2013 03:39 PM

I'm counting 16 sts at the end of this row. What are you getting?

p3(inc in next st,k1) twice, inc in next st,p3(ytb,s1,yft) 2 times how many stitches

p3 - 3 sts
(inc in next st, k1) twice - 6 sts
inc in next st - 2 sts
p3 - 3 sts
(ytb,s1,yft) 2 times - 2 slipped sts

3 + 6 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 16

Kirbym 01-29-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrumpyGramma (Post 1368570)
I'm counting 16 sts at the end of this row. What are you getting?

p3(inc in next st,k1) twice, inc in next st,p3(ytb,s1,yft) 2 times how many stitches

p3 - 3 sts
(inc in next st, k1) twice - 6 sts
inc in next st - 2 sts
p3 - 3 sts
(ytb,s1,yft) 2 times - 2 slipped sts

3 + 6 + 2 + 3 + 2 = 16

That's what I thought when I started but when you look at the whole row for the pattern it does not make sense. If I typed it in would you check.? It for me, the numbers just don't add up, I am sure it is me being dense but I am stumped

GrumpyGramma 01-29-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirbym (Post 1368571)
That's what I thought when I started but when you look at the whole row for the pattern it does not make sense. If I typed it in would you check.? It for me, the numbers just don't add up, I am sure it is me being dense but I am stumped


Including the entire row would be good. Can you link to the pattern, it's often helpful. I bolded and then included the numbers at the bottom to add them so you could see how I was counting, I don't know if I got it right. Sometimes we have X number of people counting and X different total stitch counts at the end. LOL Don't despair! There are excellent knitters here and it can be figured out.

Kirbym 01-29-2013 04:13 PM

See if you can work this out cast on 75 stitches then pattern reads as follows
(K1p1) twice,k1"p3(inc in next st),k1) twice,inc in next st,p3( ybk s1 yft p2) 2 times, ybk,s1.yft" rep from "to" 2 times, p3(inc in next st k1) twice, inc in next st,p3,(k1,p1)twice k1. (87 stitches)

I have tried knitting this but I cannot get it to come to 87 stitches when following the pattern, what am I doing wrong? I am sure the answer is simple but your advice will be appreciated, thanks,

suzeeq 01-29-2013 05:40 PM

You need a bit more spaces, that may help you to read it better. Here's the sts broken down and I replaced the " with a * as that's how patterns are usually written -

(K1p1) twice, k1 is 5 sts
*p3 - 3
(inc in next st),k1) twice, or kfb k1, kfb, k1 - uses 4 sts, adds 2 for a total of 6
inc in next st, [kfb] uses 1, adds 1 - total is 2
p3 - uses 3
(ybk s1 yft p2) 2 times, [sl1, then p2, sl1, then p2] uses 6, total of 6
ybk,s1.yft* - 1 st
at this point you'd have 5+3+6+2+3+6+1 for a total of 26 sts.
rep from *to* 2 times [repeat from the previous * twice more] - there's 21 sts in the repeat, twice more is 42 plus the 26 gives you a total of 68 now.

p3 - 3 sts
(inc in next st k1) twice - same as before, 6 sts
inc in next st - 2 sts
p3 - 3 sts
(k1,p1)twice k1. 5 sts
The last section is a total of 19 sts added to 68 is a row total of 87 stitches, just what you should have.

It may be that where it says "rep from " to " 2 times" you're reading that as do the repeated stitches twice only. But it means '2 times more' so you would do those stitches 3 times total. Do them once through the first time, then repeat them 2 times.

Kirbym 01-29-2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzeeq (Post 1368575)
You need a bit more spaces, that may help you to read it better. Here's the sts broken down -

(K1p1) twice, 4 sts
k1
*p3(inc in next st),k1) twice,inc in next st,p3( ybk s1 yft p2) 2 times, ybk,s1.yft" rep from "to" 2 times, p3(inc in next st k1) twice, inc in next st,p3,(k1,p1)twice k1. (87 stitches)

WhenI count the number of stitches indicated by reading the pattern it does not come to 87, can you see what I mean?,

Lizars1735 01-29-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirbym (Post 1368573)
See if you can work this out cast on 75 stitches then pattern reads as follows
(K1p1) twice,k1"p3(inc in next st),k1) twice,inc in next st,p3( ybk s1 yft p2) 2 times, ybk,s1.yft" rep from "to" 2 times, p3(inc in next st k1) twice, inc in next st,p3,(k1,p1)twice k1. (87 stitches)

I have tried knitting this but I cannot get it to come to 87 stitches when following the pattern, what am I doing wrong? I am sure the answer is simple but your advice will be appreciated, thanks,

OK. What I'm seeing is that they have 9 increased they want you to do by the way the pattern is written, but that doesn't cover you knitting across the 75 stitches that you started with, but if you do that last part from after it says "2 times" 2 times as well you have the right amount of increases 12 (but I didn't count the total amount of stitches if you do that).

suzeeq 01-29-2013 06:12 PM

Follow the rest of my post where I break down the stitches and I get 87. I think you're only doing the repeated stitches twice where you should be doing them 3 times.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.


copyright knittinghelp.com