KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Pillowcase top pattern (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112035)

lgoddard 02-03-2013 11:08 AM

Pillowcase top pattern

Patternworks has an adorable top with a gathered neckline for a little girl that looks sort of like a pillowcase dress. Unfortunately you have to buy the instructional DVD, yarn etc to get the pattern. Anyone know of a pattern similar to this. It is called Kiwi Top Kit.
Thanks!

salmonmac 02-03-2013 12:18 PM

It's a very cute pattern and it sounds like a useful DVD plus supplies. I'd go with the kit just for the fun of it.
That said, I think you could make this one up either in the round or as a front and back knit flat and seamed. There doesn't seem to be much shaping to it, just the turned over hem at the top for the ribbon.

lgoddard 02-03-2013 12:35 PM

Thanks, it looks like it would be so simple but I am not experienced enough to try my hand at my own pattern. You are right, it does come with everything so I probably will just get the kit. I think it is so cute!

Antares 02-03-2013 11:35 PM

Very cute top. I'd be tempted to wing it, though, especially considering I probably have enough yarn in my stash, it's not a very large garment, and it looks pretty simple.

Would love to see a picture of yours if you make one!

Jan in CA 02-04-2013 03:06 AM

Looks a like 2 rectangles with a hem at the top of reach one. Seam them together to armpit and then run a ribbon through each side.

GrumpyGramma 02-04-2013 03:16 AM

I agree with Jan, 2 rectangles seamed together with a hem at the top. If you have stash yarn to play with, give it a try. That could be a cute way to use up odds and ends and have a multicolor top.

lgoddard 02-06-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1369112)
Looks a like 2 rectangles with a hem at the top of reach one. Seam them together to armpit and then run a ribbon through each side.

Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to even figure out how many stitches I would need to CO. It probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out since it is small, just go by the gauge of the yarn but I decided to just order it and get the DVD too. Curious to see what is on that anyway. Will post when I finish.

GrumpyGramma 02-07-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lgoddard (Post 1369294)
Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to even figure out how many stitches I would need to CO. It probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out since it is small, just go by the gauge of the yarn but I decided to just order it and get the DVD too. Curious to see what is on that anyway. Will post when I finish.

That's cool. I expect the DVD will be quite useful. I was just thinking that I knit gauge swatches the size of the front or back of the top.