KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Can you help me? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112224)

jensaks 02-19-2013 12:31 AM

Can you help me?

I'm a newbie on this forum, and I've asked for help a couple of times already. I came here because I'm knitting a baby sweater and I am stuck. The pattern is from Rowan's Just Baby, in case anyone here has it. The sweater is Nolan.

I've done the front up to where I am to start shaping the front neck. It's a raglan sleeve plum and purple striped sweater and buttons down the front on a diagonal at each shoulder. I just finished the front, ending on a plum-colored stripe, 33 stitches left on the needle, followed by one row with RS facing.

So here's where I'm at:
Shape Front Neck
--Next row (RS) K2, K2tog,K3 and turn, leaving remaining stitches on a holder. 5 sts.

--Work each side of neck separately.

--Next row: sl 1, K2tog, psso and fasten off

--Next row (WS): P2 tog, P4 --Next row K2, K3 tog

--Next row: P2tog, P1

--Next row: K2tog and fasten off. With RS facing, rejoin appropriate yarn to rem sts, cast off 19 sts, K to last 4 sts, sl 1, K1 psso, K2, 6 sts.

Complete to match first side, reversing shapings.

I have NO CLUE as to what they're talking about. First of all, I have 33 stitches on the needle and the instructions tell me to: K2, K2tog,K3 and turn, leaving remaining stitches on a holder. 5 sts. How do I end up with 5 stitches, when I start with 33? I KNOW I'm reading this wrong!

I can take it over to the knit shop and ask them, but I'm hoping this will make good sense to someone tonight so I can get back to work on it. Thanks so much, Jennifer

salmonmac 02-19-2013 07:24 AM

OK, that is confusing. I eliminated one row of instructions (line 3). It threw the RS/WS off and the numbers didn't make sense anyway. Although you start with 33sts, on the first RS row you'll only work with the first 7sts (k2,k2tog,k3) and then turn leaving the 26sts on a holder. Don't worry about those sts, you'll get back to them soon. For now you're just going to work on the 6sts to complete the little point at the edge of the front neck.

Shape Front Neck
--Next row (RS) K2, K2tog,K3 and turn, leaving remaining stitches on a holder. 6 sts.

--Work each side of neck separately.

--Next row (WS): P2 tog, P4
--Next row K2, K3 tog

--Next row: P2tog, P1

--Next row: K2tog and fasten off.
With RS facing, rejoin appropriate yarn to rem sts, cast off 19 sts, For the last 7 sts, K3, sl 1, K1 psso, K2, 6 sts.

Complete to match first side, reversing shapings.

I made a change (in bold) on the shaping for the other side just so you could see how this shaping mirrors the first row of shaping on the left shoulder. Here's a picture of the pattern.

jensaks 02-19-2013 03:46 PM

Thank you!

Thank you SO MUCH! I've copied down your instructions and will follow those...it's making much more sense now. :)
Jennifer