KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Using what I have on hand.. (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112314)

kizzymet 02-26-2013 02:01 PM

Using what I have on hand..
 
Several colors of sport weight (18 wpi) yarn. 1-2 skeins each (2 could go together I suppose)
Several colors worsted weight (10 wpi) yarn. 1 skein each (yellows and browns mostly it seems)
1 pair size 8 (5mm) circular needles
1 pair size 8 (5mm) straight needles
1 set of 5 size 5 (3.75mm) DPN's

Now, this being said, I had found a really cute 1 skein baby hooded sweater but my needles are too small and I don't feel quite confident enough to alter the pattern just yet. ( http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/libr...d-baby-sweater )

Is anyone able to help me alter this or can point me in the direction of something similar that uses what I have already?

Jan in CA 02-26-2013 02:24 PM

Here's a bunch of hooded baby sweaters that use US 8 needles. You mention yarn, but not yardage which is a big factor. On the left side of the page you can input the yardage you have.

Remember to not pick a pattern that doesn't leave you any extra. Gauges are all different and you could end up with not enough yarn. I hate how the pattern doesn't give you yardage. Gram weight is not fool proof way to tell especially if your using stash yarn.

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...ptioned_thumbs

Antares 02-26-2013 02:31 PM

Oops! I don't think your link came through, Jan. I assume you looked up some patterns on Ravelry?

OP, you can join Ravelry for free and find tons of patterns for your specific needle size, yarn amounts, and design specifications.

GrumpyGramma 02-26-2013 02:40 PM

As gauge varies much from one knitter to the next, your gauge might not match that given in a pattern. You might have to expand your needle collection.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1370912)
Remember to not pick a pattern that doesn't leave you any extra. Gauges are all different and you could end up with not enough yarn. I hate how the pattern doesn't give you yardage. Gram weight is not fool proof way to tell especially if your using stash yarn.


It doesn't give a size either, at least I didn't find one.

kizzymet 02-26-2013 02:43 PM

Ah, looks like no links came through:/

kizzymet 02-26-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antares (Post 1370913)
Oops! I don't think your link came through, Jan. I assume you looked up some patterns on Ravelry?

OP, you can join Ravelry for free and find tons of patterns for your specific needle size, yarn amounts, and design specifications.

Nods, it's a good suggestion. Ravelry is where I started my search at originally. Then I headed over to DROPS Design and found a baby blanket as well. Though, the sweater is still my favorite.

kizzymet 02-26-2013 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jan in CA (Post 1370912)
Here's a bunch of hooded baby sweaters that use US 8 needles. You mention yarn, but not yardage which is a big factor. On the left side of the page you can input the yardage you have.

Remember to not pick a pattern that doesn't leave you any extra. Gauges are all different and you could end up with not enough yarn. I hate how the pattern doesn't give you yardage. Gram weight is not fool proof way to tell especially if your using stash yarn.

4 of the skeins of worsted weight yarn are 268 yards a piece. Then I have 2 smaller at 170yrds and 195yrds respectively.

The sport weight yarn is all 196 yards/each.

Jan in CA 02-26-2013 03:02 PM

I corrected the post, but here's the link again. I think I have all the same parameters.
http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/sear...ptioned_thumbs

fatoldladyinpjs 02-26-2013 10:38 PM

If you don't have the correct size to do the ribbing, you can do it on the size 8. It will just be a little looser. I do it all the time just because I'm too lazy to change the tips on my interchangeable needles when knitting mittens. My bad!

justplaincharlotte 03-02-2013 07:21 PM

A pattern option is Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket. The DVD I got with the pattern has a hood option. It's an easy knit, and EZ made several using odds and ends as a way to eat up leftover yarn.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:47 PM.


copyright knittinghelp.com