KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pattern Central (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Border (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112453)

tahawkins 03-09-2013 05:01 PM

Border

Note: For the Border, use the Contrast Yarn DOUBLED. You can either pull from the inside and the outside of one ball of yarn, or pull one strand from each of two balls.

With the Contrast Yarn and a 40 inch, US #13 needles, begin the border at any corner:

*Pick up 60 stitches to the next corner, place a marker, repeat from * until you have returned to the beginning corner. For the last marker, use a different color in order to indicate the beginning of the round. (240 stitches) I don't understand what is being communicated right here.

The border is knit in the round. Join the round by knitting into the first stitch you picked up.

Round 1: Knit.

Round 2: *K1, make 1 right, knit to the next marker, make 1 left, slip the marker, repeat from * to the end of the round. (8 stitches increased)

Rounds 3 and 4: Repeat Rounds 1 and 2.

Round 5: Knit.

Round 6: Purl.

Round 7: Knit.

Round 8: *K1, k2tog, knit to 2 stitches before the next marker, ssk, slip the marker, repeat from * to end of round. (8 stitches decreased)

Rounds 9 and 10: Repeat Rounds 7 and 8.

Now is a good time to weave in any ends.

salmonmac 03-09-2013 05:09 PM

Sounds like the border on a blanket or square. Picking up the stitches is a way of putting live sts onto the needle from the knit fabric. There's a video here to show how. You're to pick up 60sts along each side, placing a marker at each corner and a different color marker at the last corner to mark the beginning of the round. There'll be 240sts total on the needle when you're finished picking up sts. You can mark out the halfway or quarterway points on each side to make it easier to pick up the sts evenly if that helps.
But perhaps there's something else that is puzzling you?

tahawkins 03-11-2013 05:15 PM

I'm new to knitting and this is my first project knitting a border. I am so nervous. I will look at view to help me overcome fear.

tahawkins 03-11-2013 05:24 PM

Just looked at video seems so easy so let me get started.

I love this site!

salmonmac 03-11-2013 05:35 PM

You can do it. We'll all be happy to help. And if it doesn't work the first time, you can always take it out and re-do it. I've certainly done that many times myself.

justplaincharlotte 03-12-2013 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1371890)
You can do it. We'll all be happy to help. And if it doesn't work the first time, you can always take it out and re-do it. I've certainly done that many times myself.

The first time one of you suggested that I could "just" take it out and re-do it, I almost fainted/cried/all of the above. :) Until I realized that I got to keep on knitting afterward.:woot:

No fear, tahawkins.:muah:

GrumpyGramma 03-12-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1371996)
The first time one of you suggested that I could "just" take it out and re-do it, I almost fainted/cried/all of the above. :) Until I realized that I got to keep on knitting afterward.:woot:

Just take it out. I guess some things I prefer not to recall. I've ripped so many stitches that now it's no biggie. Yes, back then it was!

Good observation!

Antares 03-13-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justplaincharlotte (Post 1371996)

All of this reminds me of my Home Ec. teacher telling me (numerous times) that I needed to "resew" something. I guess that's a word, but "resewing" involved a whole lot more than just "sewing again." Sometimes we make something sound SO easy, when it's just not (however doable it might be).

tahawkins 03-14-2013 05:48 PM

HELP LOL

Thanks all for help. I so don't want to have to take out 240 stitches. Lol:thumbsup:

I don't understand this line.

Round 2: *K1, make 1 right, knit to the next marker, make 1 left, slip the marker, repeat from * to the end of the round. (8 stitches increased)

Does this mean that I add 1 before the marker and on after the marker?

tahawkins 03-14-2013 05:50 PM

I learned how to knit from YouTube. I love love love that site.