KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Knitting (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A Comment on Videos (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112457)

cawhouston 03-09-2013 06:33 PM

A Comment on Videos

I really appreciate those who take time to post knitting videos on the internet. Much of my learning comes from videos and trial and error. I literally watch hours of videos and that is what prompts this note.

Many videos are of poor quality because of lighting, movement, point of view, etc. Thatís OK with me because the posters do what they can with the equipment they have. I donít expect commercial grade cinematography and I appreciate the effort.

My time and frustration stems from the poster knitting at full speed. For me itís like a magician doing sleight of hand. The movement starts and ends and Iím left scratching my head as to what just happened and then watching the video over and over and over to grasp the technique. Seems to me it someone wants to teach they ought to consider that speed, while great for sports, may not enhance a demonstration.

Just a thought.

GrumpyGramma 03-09-2013 07:22 PM

Have you checked out the videos here? I think Amy does a great job of showing what you need to do, a lot of what I've learned was through the videos here.

Jan in CA 03-09-2013 11:13 PM

Yeah, the videos here are high quality and being improved regularly.

sheldon 03-10-2013 08:57 AM

I believe Amy can be given credit for the inventing the online knitting video. KH was launched in Nov 2004 (even earlier if you consider KH original was part of Amy's personal website), and youtube didn't come around until Feb 2005. It wasn't until just a few years ago that the masses started producing knitting videos using the same knitter's eye view which is familiar to Amy's videos.

I agree that the pool of talent producing videos vary widely. Amy has always strived for accuracy and thoroughness in her videos. I remember her researching various techniques, calling LYS to see if they had heard of such and such method, etc.

A significant number of our videos were recorded in the early 2000's with low resolution digital camera capable of filming 30 seconds at a time. We are now working on re-filming many of these older versions with our HD camera.

Paulaque 03-10-2013 12:28 PM

how in the world do you get the bird's eye view like that? I have tried and tried, and the closest I can come is the camera pointed at my lap in front of me, which is NOT where I want it.

ArtLady1981 03-21-2013 05:26 PM

Maybe by using a tripod & camera staked out behind the knitter at an elevated height, pointed down on the knitter's work?

Maybe by having a husband standing behind the knitter, up on a stool, with the camera looking down onto his wife's work?

My guess...the tripod...

sheldon 03-25-2013 08:08 PM

We used to shoot the videos with the camera on a tripod and Amy's hands on each side, basically hugging the tripod and holding the needles out in front of her lap. It's cumbersome and very prone to the knitting dropping out of the shot which is a common issue in some of the older videos. We occasionally get emails about a few of them that were especially bad.

Nowadays, we're a bit more fancy. We have a camera mounted up high on a ceiling beam pointed at a space right in front of where Amy sits. That camera has a cable running to a monitor in front of Amy so she can always see if her hands are in the frame.

Anyhow, that's the behind the scenes magic here at KnittingHelp.com.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulaque (Post 1371818)
how in the world do you get the bird's eye view like that? I have tried and tried, and the closest I can come is the camera pointed at my lap in front of me, which is NOT where I want it.

Jan in CA 03-25-2013 08:43 PM

Oh cool! I always figured it was a tripod, too.

Paulaque 03-25-2013 11:50 PM

I have a tripod, a little one, though, my digcam only has one size tripod, tried the "hugging the camera" thing, and definitely ungainly, tried putting the tripod on a shelf behind me, pointing down, but got more of the top of my head than the stitches, I am going to figure this out, though, I am determined. If only I could use the tripod and point down at my hands and then flip the video, that is not possible like it is with a picture, though.

Jan in CA 03-26-2013 01:23 AM

No, flipping g it might make the knitting backwards or upside down, too. Not a good thing when teaching someone something. :teehee: Having someone else hold the camera over your shoulder seems like the best method.