KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   How-to Questions (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How Do I Change Colors When Slipping First Stitch? PLEASE Help! (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112646)

hiliketoknit 03-25-2013 08:35 PM

How Do I Change Colors When Slipping First Stitch? PLEASE Help!

Hi! I am knitting a garter stitch scarf, and I am slipping the first stitch of every row. I was just wondering... how do I change colors when I am slipping the first stitch? I know how to change colors but I am worried about the slipping part. Any help is greatly appreciated! :mrgreen: Please respond!

suzeeq 03-25-2013 08:56 PM

You can knit the last stitch on the previous row with the new color, but it may not show so much.

hiliketoknit 03-25-2013 11:54 PM

What do you mean it may not show so much?

suzeeq 03-26-2013 12:11 AM

Because changing colors in garter shows the other color just slipping the stitch might not be as obvious as in stockinette stitch. Something like this is where you do a little sample on the side to see what different ways of working it will look like.

DavidSydney63 03-26-2013 07:34 AM

'slipping the beginning of every stitch' baffles me ...

salmonmac 03-26-2013 07:54 AM

If you read it as: Slipping the beginning stitch of every row, I think it may be clearer.

hiliketoknit 03-27-2013 01:20 AM

Quote:

You can knit the last stitch on the previous row with the new color
So you mean that if I change to a new color at the last stitch of my row, then start a new row with that new color, then slip that first stitch and continue to knit regularly as usual, I will have successfully changed colors and the stripes of color will come out evenly?:think:

suzeeq 03-27-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

So you mean that if I change to a new color at the last stitch of my row, then start a new row with that new color, then slip that first stitch and continue to knit regularly as usual, I will have successfully changed colors and the stripes of color will come out evenly?
Yes it should; try it with a sample piece to see how it works.

hiliketoknit 03-27-2013 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It worked but there was SOME unevenness so I used the yarn tails to hide it... do you know of any other way to make it work? Thank you for your tip!
(You can see that on the right side of the yellow at the top there is still a yellow stitch on the red part that I wasn't able to hide.)

suzeeq 03-27-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiliketoknit (Post 1373193)
It worked but there was SOME unevenness so I used the yarn tails to hide it... do you know of any other way to make it work? Thank you for your tip!
(You can see that on the right side of the yellow at the top there is still a yellow stitch on the red part that I wasn't able to hide.)

That's part of the nature of stripes done in garter stitch. Because the purl bumps show on both sides, there's going be the previous row's color show through after you change.

I don't do a lot of color work, but maybe someone else who does can help you out. This blog post talks about the color dots showing through on ribbing, but it may be of some help to you for garter stitch.