KnittingHelp.com Forum

KnittingHelp.com Forum (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/index.php)
-   What'cha Knittin'? (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   FO: Art Deco Wrap (http://www.knittinghelp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112725)

ArtLady1981 04-01-2013 09:14 PM

FO: Art Deco Wrap

New photos added today, after the icord edging was finished!

Kinda looks like a clutch when all folded, doesn't it?

I've been tinkering and futzing with this Mitered Squares Wrap since early December. You need a break after doing so many squares...like my limit per session was about 6-9.

All of the squares are interlocking, that is to say...to knit Square 2 you pick up xx stitches along one side of Square 1. Etc.

I knit two long panels...each 18 squares. Blocked them individually.

Thought about seaming them together, and the seamline would like down my back...but I thought twice.

So I knit a middle panel of 9 squares. I am glad I did!

I seamed each of the longer panels to each side edge of the middle panel, and when worn, the middle panel fits perfectly across my back, and the seams are positioned up on my shoulders. The two longer panels cascade down the Front, or can be tossed up over the opposite shoulders.

I'm going to knit an applied i-cord edge tonight, using Eggshell (cream).

Here she is, without the edging...but I'm online today with my laptop...so I'm posting it today. I'm going to wear this to church with a black skirt, or tan, or white. It's Silky Wool, known for being warm but not stifling.

This is the Middle Panel. I picked up 75 stitches along each edge, and worked the 3-needle bind-off to join.
I think it looks okay. And it's not bulky on the wrong side.

Here is the Right Front Panel, and the Middle Panel.

A person could really do any combination of colors! Plus, you can easily make this entire thing into a blanket if you added more panels! You can make it larger with heavier yarn (I used dk) and bigger needles! The model is knit with Rowan Kidsilk Haze! Crazy wild colors!

Here are my Rav notes, which include the free pattern link.

Here is my collection of Silky Wool colors used, and basically under 1 skein each. Two of the colors I used 1.11/1.25 skeins. Others were much less. I only had 3/4 skein of the black, so I had to use it judiciously, interspersing it well enough, but not so as to run out! This shade of Silky Wool is discontinued. My 3/4 skein was leftover from a 2004 pullover.

GrumpyGramma 04-01-2013 11:51 PM

Wow! that's pretty darned cool! I really like your panel in the middle. Beautiful colors too. It's good to see how your 3-needle bind off in lieu of seaming looks. The whole wrap is awesome!

DavidSydney63 04-02-2013 01:00 AM

That's a real heirloom!! Absolutely gorgeous - divine indeed.

Antares 04-02-2013 08:37 AM

That really turned out pretty! I bet with a thicker yarn, you could even make this into a rug. Or why stop there? Just go ahead and knit yourself wall-to-wall carpet in this design. :teehee:

Meanwhile, this is a stunner, and I like that you just pulled from your stash.

salmonmac 04-02-2013 08:24 PM

This wrap is really endlessly fascinating. I love the placement of the squares that are made up of smaller squares and the way they contribute to the color pattern.

ArtLady1981 04-02-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by salmonmac (Post 1373669)
This wrap is really endlessly fascinating. I love the placement of the squares that are made up of smaller squares and the way they contribute to the color pattern.

It was tedious work...but it's the creation of the squares and color placement that drove me on. Very satisfying work!

Thanks!

justplaincharlotte 04-02-2013 09:45 PM

Beautiful as always ArtLady! :muah:

The design formed by the mitred squares is simply phenomenal!

nonny2t 04-03-2013 11:51 AM

One crazy wrap and it is as always beautiful

butlersabroad 04-03-2013 12:50 PM

Wow that's incredible! Almost makes my eyes go a bit funny if I stare at it for too long! Let's hope the person in the row behind you in church doesn't fall off their pew! :)

ArtLady1981 04-03-2013 03:47 PM

This pattern stitch would make a great clutch, too, wouldn't it? Of course,
it would definitely need to be lined, and maybe lightly felted to give it strength.
This yarn is dk, wool/silk blend, and very light and floppy.

I-cord edging used 13 grams of yarn. Much less than I thought.
I used a 3-st icord. I was thinking about 4-st...and I'm really glad
that I didn't.